Cardio ???? When and how often

lizard

If I want to do 30 minutes of cardio a week should I
A. Do the cardio on the days I do not lift?
B Do the cardio after my workouts??

Just a question for you guys

If you wanted to do cardio on the same day as weights, try doing it in the morning, and weights in the evening (or vice versa).

As faz suggested, if you can, do the cardio on non-lifting days. This way you will also have a relatively constant energy expenditure every day, which means that you will be able to eat about the same day in day out, without having to worry about adjusting your caloric intake.

<div>
(faz @ Oct. 16 2006,15:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">preferably on non weight days..if not after weights but take a carb drink before cardio.</div>
what would you say a carb drink was? like a gatorade or protein shake?

Do cardio on days that you do not lift. After you lift, your body is in a stage of catabolism where the muscle is breaking down. Unless you give your body a refeed of protein and some carbs it's unadvisable...

wikipedia - catabolism

If you're going for bulk and still want to do cardio, think a gatorade type drink. Its simple carbs but I think it takes the body about 15-20mins to process simple carbs, so it should give you enough energy for the exercise. It means you won't be burning much fat for you cardio, but that's ok if you're doing it for fitness and not fat loss. Save fat loss for your cutting phase.

<div>
(cnegotiator @ Oct. 17 2006,20:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ Oct. 16 2006,15:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">preferably on non weight days..if not after weights but take a carb drink before cardio.</div>
what would you say a carb drink was? like a gatorade or protein shake?</div>
i would take a protein shake before weights,and during weights i would sip on a carb ,gatorade,lucazade,etc drink.

Back