Changing the reps.

I´m at the moment training a HTS program with 15, 10, 5 as reps. What would happen if I changed my reps to 20, 15, 10 in my next program?
rock.gif

if your goal is endurance then its okay.
if your goal is strength then it is less okay.
if your goal is hypertrophy, you´ll be wasting energy.

The trouble is that the loads you will be using before your 15RM will not provide much in the way of a hypertrophic response in most folks. Why not do just a week of 20s, and then start an HST cycle as per usual so you can try it out for yourself. Some folks like to do higher reps for their legs.

If you are worried about going as low as 5 reps because of the loads involved then try 6, 7, or perhaps 8. However, if you keep your form really good in all exercises then you shouldn't be using weights that will put you at risk of injury. It's when you lose your form that problems are more likely to occur.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> However, if you keep your form really good in all exercises then you shouldn't be using weights that will put you at risk of injury. It's when you lose your form that problems are more likely to occur.</div>
And this usually happens when you are pushing for that last rep, reaching total failure and throwing form out of the window. Stop before failure (the HIT definition) and do another set if more work is needed, instead.

Yes, and what 9to5 says is particularly pertinent when doing deads or squats where your spinal erectors may start to give out before your legs. So if you feel your form suffering on heavy squats or deads just stop, take a break and then finish up the reps you need for your total count. You shouldn't be getting to this point until you are at your RM w/o or on a second or third work set.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes, and what 9to5 says is particularly pertinent when doing deads or squats where your spinal erectors may start to give out before your legs.</div>
This is exactly what I had in mind. During deads and squats I usually don't push as hard for that last rep (perceived effort) for fear of injuries. I prefer to just stop, rest and do another set instead of getting 1 or 2 extra reps during my last set.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Okay thanks. but which reps are going to help the most on increasing my muscles?? Many reps with low weight or few reps with high weight???</div>
The best answer here would be ... many reps with a heavy weight.
laugh.gif
You must ensure that you are working with a heavy enough weight AND that your total work output is adequate. Many people here prefer to work up to a predefined number of reps, regardless of the weight used (just by increasing the number of sets). This way both the weight used and the total work done are increasing throughout the cycle.

Keep in mind that mechanical load is what matters most, so if your goal is hypertrophy you should generally favour heavier weights.

Hope this helps,
Dimitris

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Nov. 19 2006,16:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bryan Recommends for expierenced guys reps of around 30 !

Hope that helps !</div>
Say what? WhatsyutalkinaboutJoeboy?      
rock.gif

One set of 30 reps? 2 sets of 15 reps each? 30 sets of 1 rep each? 60 sets of negatives only at one's 1 RM? 120 sets of 1/4 reps?  240 sets of negative only 1/4 reps?      
rock.gif

I am not sure if the question is asking about total reps per exercise fpr all sets or just one set.

As a general answer to Suonpera's question, for relative beginners, sets of 8 to 12 reps seem to usually provide the best balance between strength and hypertrophy. HST attempts to simulate that with a recommended 15, 10, 5 rep scheme. The number of sets is another topic subject to mucho debate.   
wink.gif

I think Joe means total reps per exercise? - or perhaps per bodypart?

I think 30 is a lot of reps per exercise once the loads are high (too much for me anyway) but maybe OK per bodypart - like a total of 15 reps for rows and 15 for chins, making 30 total for back.

Number of reps per session will also depend on how many exercises you are doing.

At the end of the day, you have to do enough total reps to grow and still be able to manage fatigue successfully for your desired frequency. That will take some experimentation for each person and to a certain extent will depend on conditioning to exercise.

Sorry for the confusion.

Actually what Bryan recommened a while back was 15 to 30 reps per muscle group.

He said in most situations he never does less than 15 reps per exercise and no more than 15 to 30 per muscle group.

If I remember correctly!

Sorry for the confusion
laugh.gif

Back