cheating or compounds

faz

I was thinking about this the other day.
we all agree (most anyway) that compounds work the arms well.....what is a cheating curl is it an iso or compound..your using your legs and back to swing the weight up so does that change it into a compound,and is it better than say chins because it hits the bis more directly.
also is there a place for cheating on exercises what i mean arent negs a type of cheating..so instead of doing negs if you dont have a training partner why not load on some extra weight and cheat a bit
rock.gif

also when you cheat on an exercise are you not just doing what the body naturaly wants to do..i mean if you had to pass a weight above your head you wouldnt keep your knees locked would you ,you would bend your knees and jerk the weight up
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

My take on it is that cheating has it's place if it is used to increase the potential strain on a muscle but it should not be used to remove strain. So there's no point in cheating for 5 reps with a weight that you could do for five reps in a strict fashion. But, if you used a weight that was greater than your 5RM and managed 3 good reps followed by 2 cheats that would be a way to increase strain, TUL and get your reps in without going to failure.

So, I suppose, cheats are a kind of negative-accentuated rep style (like someone helping you to lift the weight and then you lowering it on your own).

Although you might be using your body to help lift the weight, it's not like you have done anything that causes a great deal of strain to any other muscles. So you couldn't really call doing cheat curls a compound movement. I wouldn't any way!
smile.gif

Back