Chest ahead of other body parts?

Curt

I've always had a strong bench and have gained easily in the chest. My arms have been a weak point. I've noticed that my chest has gotten quite big while my arms still are pretty small and it looks a little wierd.

For my workout, I do an additional set for compound exercises, including bench. I'm just starting a new cycle and I'd like my arms to catch up. For my next cycle should I cut chest completely out of my routine? Should I do the same sets for bench as isolation, or maybe instead of bench do isolation on chest only? How can I really hit my biceps this cycle?

If I were you, I would switch to other exercises instead of the bench, like dips for instance, that will hit more bodyparts alongside the chest than benches would.

If you want to do some extra work on your biceps, I would throw in a set of incline bicep curls at the end of your workouts. Concentrate on getting a good stretch, adding in pulses or static holds, whichever you prefer, once you hit the 5s.
Remember that your arms get hit by a lot of different exercises - rows, bench, dips, etc. So I believe that you should do any isolations for them, like the incline curls, at the end of your workout so you don't compromise any of your compounds.

Either that or trade me chests. I've got the opposite problem. My arms are growing like crazy, while my chest is growing much slower than I would like.

I agree with Death Dance above,

Here is a simple one -- just do biceps first. Give them priority.

Also go really heavy in the negs. And do loaded static stretches -- just hold a bar with as much weight as possible for about 20 secs -- with your palms out.

simple stuff but it works,

Bob

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ May 19 2005,8:47)]If I were you, I would switch to other exercises instead of the bench, like dips for instance, that will hit more bodyparts alongside the chest than benches would.
If you want to do some extra work on your biceps, I would throw in a set of incline bicep curls at the end of your workouts.  Concentrate on getting a good stretch, adding in pulses or static holds, whichever you prefer, once you hit the 5s.
Remember that your arms get hit by a lot of different exercises - rows, bench, dips, etc.  So I believe that you should do any isolations for them, like the incline curls, at the end of your workout so you don't compromise any of your compounds.
Either that or trade me chests.  I've got the opposite problem.  My arms are growing like crazy, while my chest is growing much slower than I would like.
In my routine I already have a bicep isolation (I switch between hammer curls and barbell curls). Are you recommending that I add another bicep isolation exercise, or do inclines instead of the regular curls?

Are static stretches separate from HST or do they follow the same rules (incrementing in weight each workout)?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are static stretches separate from HST or do they follow the same rules (incrementing in weight each workout)?

Others can chim in on this. And Vicious talks about it in Customizing HST and other threads.

Loaded Streches are a bit like negatives. You can increment the weight --- but less so than in a regular lift. You only impliment them in the 5s and Negs to add to the "extream work" part of the macro cycle.

I have also found preacher bench isolation DB curls work well. Especially in the 5s and Negs. You can really work the Bicep -- make it hurt. Lots of fun.

Bob

I would replace the barbell curls with incline curls. The reason is that while you can do a lot more weight with BB curls, incline curls give you more stretch when done properly.
As for static holds, pulsing, etc, check out the Customizing HST thread. It's like 90 some pages, but I think Vicious summed up the static stretches on the last page, or the second to last page. What I do is just use whatever weight I'm using for the exercise and use that for the static hold. So if I'm doing incline curls with 30 lbs on each arm, I try to hold that in the stretched position as long as I can. Be warned that it hurts like a mfer though!
If you do loaded stretching and stuff like that, I would incorporate it into other exercises that also hit the biceps, like chinups, rowing manuevers, etc. That should hopefully spark some growth in your arms.
Also, check out this thread for some other ideas, if you want:
Choosing a bicep exercise for HST

Again I agree with Deathdance. I use a compo of lifts. Incline DB curls are the best but one can not go as heavy using them so here is what I do.

Incline DB curls for 15s and 10s. Lock your elbow in place and go all the way down -- remember it is all about the stretch at the bottom.

I can only go to about 45lbs with these. So in my fives and negatives I swich to preacher bench DB curls -- strict form -- all the way down. Play with different elbow positioning so you get a good "purchase". At the end of the set just let the DB "hang" in the fully extended position (elbow locked) hold for about 20 seconds. By switching to preacher bench I can get it up to 60lbs at the end of my 5s. (a 15 to 20lb increase over the incline curls)

In addtion you can hang from a chin-up bar (body weight) for as long as possible. (ouch) Then later in your negs you can go heavier ---- while doing shrugs lift and hold as heavy a weight (from a squat rack) 100lbs over bodyweight is a good way to go -- again about 20 seconds.

The trick is go go as heavy as possible and get as good a stretch as possible. The above is what works for me. Just one guys opinion.

viel spass, Bob

I agree with most of Bob's advice, but one thing I avoid is going aaalllll the way down into the fully extended position on barbell or dumbbell preacher curls. I speak from painful experience, having injured the crook of my right arm doing that. Now when I do preacher curls I stop just before lockout at the bottom.

Incline dumbbell or hammer curls are excellent for getting a stretch at the bottom of the movement. I think they're safer for stretching purposes because you aren't bracing your elbow against a stationary object. Deadlifts also give the biceps a tremendous stretch, and are great for the forearms as well.

Back