Chin Assistance

Old and Grey

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many people have asked how to incorporate chin ups and pull ups into their workouts but feel they are too weak to effectively do them, especially at higher reps. Many suggestion have been made including using Gravitrons, assisting with one leg on a stool, negatives, etc. Using a lat pull down machine seems to be a poor second choice. I have found that using bands helps me to hit my target reps. Here is a link to one of many suppliers:

Super Bands

The illustration at the link shows both legs being in the band. I find that hard to accomplish without a partner so I use just one leg. The next workout I switch the band to the other leg to keep my development symetrical. The bands help to get a start from the stretch position but provide little assistance at the top of the movement where you want to contract your lats and pinch your shoulders together.

I have also found that is safer to put the band down the leg more than the illustration. You don't want a band to slip off your knee and catch you on the nose!  
ghostface.gif

Hope this helps someone.

Back