chinups vs. lat pulldowns

naiveguy

I'm about to start on my first hst cycle--I've spent the past couple of weeks determining my 15, 10, and 5-rep maxes. My question: I can do about 12 chinups (palms facing in). So during the 15s I'm going to do lat pulldowns. But I'm wondering about the 10s. My plan for the first 4 sessions of the 10s is to do progressively heavier lat pulldowns, and then do body-weight chinups for the fifth session, and body weight plus about 2.5 pounds for the sixth and last session of the 10s. Does this seem like a good plan?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

That's fine. Then be sure to try negs after two weeks of 5s. This should help develop some extra strength in your lats/bis etc for the following cycle.

One thing I have found is that as I have gained strength my bodyweight has also gone up which means that doing chins hasn't got a lot easier. What I do is do pull downs until the start of 5s and then switch to close-grip, underhand chins. It's been working well over the last 11 months.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm looking forward to the negatives--I've never done them before. Should be interesting.

Tim

Back