cluster reps

mantica

I just finished my two weeks of 5 (2 sets). I'd like to continue, increasing weights if possible. If I cannot complete 5 straight reps, I'd like to cluster them: how long should I wait between each group of reps ?
For example: instead of doing 5 reps I do 2-2-1. How many seconds should I rest between 2,2 and 1.

Thank you

Andrea

Cluster the reps as needed. I do reps, when I get fatigued, I stop and rest. When I am rested enough to feel less fatigue, I do more reps, etc. I go completely by feel. I can cluster to 30 reps for an exercise in 3 minutes or in 15 minutes, depending on how heavy the load is.

I would start clustering from the word go, making sure I could complete each block relatively easily, if you go near failure, you'll slow your recovery.

e.g When I'm squatting, say I'm doing 4 sets of 5, with my 6RM, if I do that, I need to take about 3 minutes between sets so I can get 5 reps in next time. Total waiting time= 12 minutes

If I split my reps up into 7 sets of 3, I can go after about a minute of rest. I get my reps with better form this way. Total weighting time= 6 minutes.

Better form, equal volume in the same time, less fatigue, alright

<div>
(mantica @ Apr. 15 2007,21:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just finished my two weeks of 5 (2 sets). I'd like to continue, increasing weights if possible. If I cannot complete 5 straight reps, I'd like to cluster them: how long should I wait between  each group of reps ?
For example: instead of doing 5 reps I do 2-2-1. How many seconds should I rest between 2,2 and 1.

Thank you

Andrea</div>
if your doing 2sets in your 5s then you should aim for 10 clustering reps so you could do something like 4,3,2,1, take as long as you need to do them with correct form.

Back