cluster sets questions

I

imported_dyhp

I'm on my fives now and I would like to cluster train.
Do I basically do as many reps as I can untill I do lets say 15 reps.
1 set of 7
1 set of 5
1 set of 3
(total of 15)

whats about

1 set of 4
1 set of 3
1 set of 3
1 set of 2
1 set of 2
1 set of 1
(total of 15)

Is it basically the same thing, if I were to do it either way.

I'm just confused on how it works, any clarification would be appreciated.

To me...the first cluster looks better for fives...the second looks better for the negatives, maybe.
Others will comment.
Sphinx.

I just do it however I can. I'll start the first set, and stop when I feel like I could still pump out another rep or two, rest a bit, then go again until I get to the point where I feel like I could only do another rep or two. Just keep away from failure and you should be okay, in my opinion.

Strictly speaking you should never need to do cluster reps, by virtue of the weight being either sub or at a rm weight. However we all know that real life don't always match with the theory...
Avoid clustering as much as possible, failing that - try to keep the batches of reps as high as you can (for a more systemic effect) otherwise your sub 15rm weight ends up being more like your 3 or 4rm (then the gym rats will really start to take the piss)

Lift hard - grow big

That's the first opinion I've read advising the avoidance of clustering.....why do you think that's the way to go? I think the principle is sound, as you avoid CNS fatigue.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Avoid clustering as much as possible, failing that - try to keep the batches of reps as high as you can (for a more systemic effect) otherwise your sub 15rm weight ends up being more like your 3 or 4rm (then the gym rats will really start to take the piss)

I think he is talking about doing it on his 5s, not 15s. It is just another way of reaching a total of 15 reps other than 3 sets of 5. No one is advocating breaking up a set with a sub 15rm weight into several sets of 3 or 4 reps.

The approach described by Totentanz is a good one, and one I often use myself towards the end of a cycle.

Rob

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dyhp @ Mar. 17 2005,7:34)]I'm on my fives now and I would like to cluster train.
1 set of 7
1 set of 5
1 set of 3
(total of 15)
1. If your are at your 5RM you shouldn't be hitting 7 reps, if under your 5RM then 7 would be possible but you are probalby better off sticking to sets at that point. Clustering is better when you are considering a larger volume increase. IE 20 reps or higher, just going for 15 isn't probably worth changing to a cluster routine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Mar. 18 2005,9:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dyhp @ Mar. 17 2005,7:34)]I'm on my fives now and I would like to cluster train.
1 set of 7
1 set of 5
1 set of 3
(total of 15)
1. If your are at your 5RM you shouldn't be hitting 7 reps, if under your 5RM then 7 would be possible but you are probalby better off sticking to sets at that point. Clustering is better when you are considering a larger volume increase. IE 20 reps or higher, just going for 15 isn't probably worth changing to a cluster routine.
Ok , I guess I'll just stick with 3 sets of five. Thanky you everyone

Back