CNS Fatique

Joe.Muscle

So we know that muscles are not overtrained the CNS is overtrained.

Does this mean we could take away sets from one muscle group and add them to others.

For example in my routine. I do 4 sets of 6 reps for chest and back and shoulders.

So could I take away shoulders all together if I wanted to and divided those extra sets between chest and back.

If overtraining is due to CNS and not muscle then this would be ok? You are keeping same amount of sets and you are keeping same amount of compounds.

I dont think this is a good idea b/c it seems to be too much volume for one muscle group...but if overtraining is all CNS related then theoretically you could take your average sets per training session and spread them over different muscle groups.

Discuss....???

In theory it makes sense. However, it seems that the more fatigued a muscle is, the more your CNS is strained when using the same weight/reps as your 1st set. Compare this to working a completely different muscle group, where you could exert the same effort for a greater load (relatively speaking) because the muscle isn't fatigued.

Yes this is what I have done and found it to be quite effective. I know some of the writers at Tmag have suggested similar strategies.

When it comes to CNS overtraining, I know it has been said before, but I can't reiterate it enough, stay away from failure and you can keep your workout volume high. High volume is key IMO....and this is big coming from a former HIT devotee.
smile.gif

as long as you dont go to faliure do as many aets as you want its faliure that causes your cns to fatigue.

I can see both sides of this coin.

Tricky question I guess...I guess thats just the old school bodybuilder in me thinking you can overtrain a muscle.

jww13 what you said makes sense theory wise...just not sure how research show it?

Back