coenzym q10

faz

Coenzyme Q10 is seen as an essential supplement today by many health consious people and is more popular than ever. Lets have a look at how Coenzyme Q10 can help you maintain peak health and performance.

Coenzyme Q10 is also known as ubiquinone and is related in structure to vitamins K and E. Coenzyme and was discovered at the University of Wisconsin, in 1957 by Professor F. L. Crane. Later Coenzyme

Q10’s chemical structure was detailed by Drs. D.E. Wolf and Karl Folkers.

Coenzyme is found in all cells of the body, and is part of the Mito Mix (cocktail of enzymes) responsible for the internal reactions that produce our bodily energy; namely the production of ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate). ATP is constantly being made by the body.

The trouble is, our bodies store only enough ATP for about 10 minutes, and then has to start making more. Also, the older we get, the less we store and the longer it takes us to make more.

Without enough Coenzyme Q10 in our bodies, we cannot produce enough ATP fast enough, and our performance and functions will drop considerably.

What can Coenzyme Q10 Do for us?

As Coenzyme Q10 is involved in metabolic production of ATP, it also has a large role in the metabolism of fat. Actually, Coenzyme Q10 stimulates the body’s metabolism, and thus has a good effect on losing weight and fat burning (to use the new term).

Additionally, as Coenzyme Q10 is also crucial in electron transport, it is a powerful anti-oxidant. Anti-oxidants are those chemicals that help free the body of free radicals (that often lead to cancer).

Lastly, Coenzyme Q10 levels have been positively linked to healthy hearts. The opposite is true, that unhealthy hearts almost always have a deficiency of Coenzyme Q10.

Are you Coenzyme Q10 Deficient?

If you are eating well, but not losing weight; if you are working out but seem to have no energy after a few minutes; if you are over 30; if your immune system seems weaker than it should be, chances are you are Coenzyme Q10 deficient.

Today’s food additive Coenzyme Q10 is basically of very high purity and quality, made from natural sources, and available in doses from 75mg to 150mg.

If you suffer from any of the conditions above, you might benefit greatly by including some Coenzyme Q10 in your diet (as a food supplement). You might choose a soft gel capsule rather than a hard tablet, as it is absorbed much faster.

Also, if you taking Coenzyme Q10 for heart reasons, ask your doctor about higher doses.

Can I take Coenzyme Q10 with statins?
Statins are the main ingredient in many cholesterol reducing medicines. They are also one of the most prescribed medications today. Researchers believe that statins can inhibit Coenzyme Q10 production in our bodies. If this is so, we need to take this supplement more than we had previously thought.

If you are a statin taker, you must discuss with your doctor the possibility of taking Coenzyme Q10 at the same time.

If you have any heart troubles whatsoever, or are on heart meds, talk to your doc before taking it. I can't use it myelf for these reasons. But my bloodwork shows me in the normal range - possibly due to the heartmeds I take.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 10 2006,09:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you have any heart troubles whatsoever, or are on heart meds, talk to your doc before taking it. I can't use it myelf for these reasons. But my bloodwork shows me in the normal range - possibly due to the heartmeds I take.</div>
Being on &quot;heartmeds&quot; and especially a statin drug is the main reason I take CoQ10. What drug(s) would preclude using it?

c'mon faz - where did you lift this text from?
rock.gif

I was on enalapril, atenelol, and quinidine, but now I'm only on the enalapril. The doc said not to do the q10 when I was on all 3.

Hmmm ... So an anti-arrythmia drug, a beta blocker, and an ACE inhibitor ... I can't see why there would be any interaction with CoQ10, but your doctor probably didn't want you taking too much at the same time so he couldn't tell what was accomplishing what. Cutting down to one is a good sign ... You must be making good progress.

This getting old stuff sucks, doesn't it?
mad.gif

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Oct. 10 2006,20:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">c'mon faz - where did you lift this text from?
rock.gif
</div>
it was up on another forum

<div>
(leegee38 @ Oct. 10 2006,20:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hmmm ... So an anti-arrythmia drug, a beta blocker, and an ACE inhibitor ...  I can't see why there would be any interaction with CoQ10, but your doctor probably didn't want you taking too much at the same time so he couldn't tell what was accomplishing what.  Cutting down to one is a good sign ... You must be making good progress.

This getting old stuff sucks, doesn't it?
mad.gif
</div>
I can't say, but I did have an operation that cut the short circuit in my heart and stopped the arrythmias. The VA docs have cured me where the civvies were just taking my money. And as a result, I don't need two of the meds any more; I could probably take CoQ10, but I'll ask first. At least it's cheap.
My heart trouble started when I was 17, in the service, drinking like a fish and smoking coffin nails. *(and other assorted goodies)

Back