Confused...

wwewrestlingguy

I'm a bit confused... I bought the 'setting up an hst cycle' by Charles Ridgely and I believe he states that it's best to keep reps constant throughout the cycle, but I see that most people just keep their SETS constant instead.  Which is better.  Is it true that if you keep sets constant, the reps will decline too much?  I'm confused...  my routine is gonna be something similar to one that I saw onemorerep post up once.
AM:
Squats
Dips
Bent-Over Rows
Military Press
PM:
Squats
Incline Press
One-Arm DB Rows
Upright Rows
This will be performed 3 times per week... I just don't know what kind of volume I should have.  Any advice??

wwewrestlingguy

It must be a mistake dude, check HST faq and the4 pimp my HST e-books.

Sets vary at will, depending on how much volume you can handkle or like:

15's - 1 set or 2 - 15 reps throughout each minicycle
10's - 2 to 3 sets 10 reps through.
5's - 3 first week, 2 second week. 5 reps through
negs - 5's - 2 first week, 1 - 2 second week. 5 reps through

The idea is to get thorugh a 15/10/5/5 type of sequence as you use weight progression per workout.

There is plenty of reading material about this, just go to the articles or the FAQ's.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wwewrestlingguy @ Nov. 01 2005,12:40)]I'm a bit confused... I bought the 'setting up an hst cycle' by Charles Ridgely
I bought Charles Ridgely's e-book too. Nothing against Mr Ridgely- his stuff is a much more technical way of maintaining volume and workload through the cycle. If I were you I would just stick to the basic HST principles in the FAQ's and Pimp my HST file as Fausto says.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Which is better. Is it true that if you keep sets constant, the reps will decline too much?

What I take from that is that if you keep on doing 2-4 sets from the beginning of a microcycle to the end of it, you wouldn't be able to do all the reps at the end with the full load as you did in the beginning with a load that is a lot lighter.

-Colby

wwewrestlingguy,

Squats twice a day? Why not alternate with the deadlift? Also, why double up on the rows? Are you unable to alternate with chins?

I was thinking about alternating with deadlifts but I'm not sure if I will or not. As for the doubling with rows... I don't think I'd be able to get good enough progression with chins. With good form I'd probably fail around the 12th reps or so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wwewrestlingguy @ Oct. 31 2005,10:40)]I'm a bit confused... I bought the 'setting up an hst cycle' by Charles Ridgely and I believe he states that it's best to keep reps constant throughout the cycle, but I see that most people just keep their SETS constant instead.  Which is better.  Is it true that if you keep sets constant, the reps will decline too much?  I'm confused...  my routine is gonna be something similar to one that I saw onemorerep post up once.
AM:
Squats
Dips
Bent-Over Rows
Military Press
PM:
Squats
Incline Press
One-Arm DB Rows
Upright Rows
This will be performed 3 times per week... I just don't know what kind of volume I should have.  Any advice??
The easiest way to understand the whole reps versus sets thing is to think in terms of "total reps per bout of exercise." For instance, if you do 3 sets of 5 reps of bench press, then the total reps per bout of bench press is 15 reps. Now, if you were to perform 3 sets of 5 reps of dips and then perform 3 sets of 5 reps of bench, then your chest would be worked with a total of 30 reps during that workout. It's just the number of reps in each set multipled by the number of sets.

Related to HST, the ebook is pointing out that if you keep the number of sets the same throughout the cycle, then since the number of reps drops from the 15s, to the 10s, to the 5s, the total amount of poundage lifted (i.e., the work) drops, too. This drop occurs even though the loads lifted go up as the cycle progresses.

Does all this mean that your cycle will be useless? No. Does this mean that you won't gain if you don't use 3 sets of 5 reps for each exercise in the 5s? Not at all. Many on this board have reported good gains by using 1 or 2 sets throughout the HST cycle. But a plummeting workload may be less than optimal. That's all the ebook is saying--keeping the total volume constant or increasing is just one way to tweak your HST cycle. There are other ways, too, such as those discussed in Vicious' Pimping HST ebook, as mentioned above by Fausto.

Now then, the easiest way to set up the volume of your cycle is to determine how much volume you want to be performing with your 5RM weights at the end of the 5s. Once you figure out how many total reps of each exercise you'll be performing in the 5s, you can adjust the volume of your 10s and 15s accordingly. For example, suppose you decide to perform 4 sets of 5 reps for each exercise throughout the 5s. Then, you can use 2 sets during the 10s and 1 set during the 15s.

Of course, if you are new to HST, you probably don't know how much volume to use during the 5s. And in that case, I wholeheartedly recommend that you stick with the level of volume prescribed in Bryan's Official HST Method for at least your first cycle.

Hope that helps you out, wwewrestlingguy.

Cheers.

I would still do the chins, just do another set to hit the required reps.

I alternate squats and deads and it's worked well through 2 cycles.

wwewrestlingguy, I'm just finishing up a cycle much like what you're thinking about, and I've gotten nice results. I also alternate front squats and stiff-legged deads. Deads are too productive not to do, I think.

Liege makes a good point on the chins, too. Clustering would be a good way to hit your numbers. Doing 'em on an assisted unit would also be effective: I can't do fifteen reps with bodyweight alone, but I can with thirty pounds of assistance. Those machines make it possible to manage progression during the higher-rep microcycles.

thanks again for the input guys... I've decided that I'll definitely use deads in my routine..

if anybody would like to share how much total volume you use throughout the week, that might be helpful.. also, when clustering it seems that the number of sets would go way the heck up there, but does that not matter when keeping reps constant?

Clustering is pretty simple.

You want to do as many reps per "set/mini-set/cluster" as you can, but you ALWAYS stop one rep shy of failure.

You aim for a rep target - say 24 reps.

On the first day of my 5s, I can prob. reach this in 3-4 clusters.

One day in my post 5s when I'm working with ~ 90/95% of my 1RM, it will probably take me 8-12 clusters to hit this.

This is what I would do (and will be doing soon when my home gym equipment arrives :D :D ):

AM:
Deads
Dips
Bent-Over Rows
Military Press

PM:
Squats
Incline Press
Wide Grip Chins
One-Arm DB Rows
DB Shoulder Press

4x weekly.

Jester

I really like the routine you put up.. I think I'll use that one instead. Being that everyone is telling me that chins will be very beneficial I'll go ahead and use them. One more question with clusterig... you hit that set number of reps throught out the whole 6-8 weeks? or the target reps change with each rep cycle?

The idea is to keep it constant...but if you choose 30 for the 15s and 24 or 20 for the 10s and 5s then that's fine.

Personally I think it's better to stay in the range of 4-5 reps for clusters than 2-3 reps.

Oh and keep sets to 1 for each exercise.

Back