continue to bulk or start to cut

jwbond

i am currently 205lbs 6'1 @ 15% bf. i am getting married on june 30th and want to get down to 8% bf for my bride-to-be. I am finishing my current bulk cycle and will be starting sd next week.

after doing some math i figure i need to lose 14lbs of fat to get to 8%. however, that is if all i lose is fat...Therefore i am guessing it will be more like ~16lbs?

i figure a cutting cycle with losing 1lb per week is a safe bet for not losing too much muscle. this means i need about 4 months of cutting.

i dont know whether to do a slow bulk with minimal fat gains for another 2 month cycle or if i should play it on the safe side and start cutting now?

any advice/tips would be appreciated.

JWBond,

I am in a similar position (except for the marriage, congrats and good luck with that!) I am currently 207, 6'2 @ 13.3% BF. I want to get under 10% bodyfat by May, or even better to be at 8%. I will need to lose 11 lbs of fat in 4-5 months, so I figured it was too early to do a cut.

I don't have much of an answer to you, but I will tell you what I plan on doing. I plan on eating slightly above maintenance for this cycle. With this diet plan, I should gain 5-10 lbs of muscle and lose a couple pounds of fat. I may gain more towards 10 lbs of muscle and lose more fat than expected since my frequency is up to 8x/week for the next two months.

If that is the case, then I would need to lose 6-8 lbs of fat during the next cycle. That calls for the traditional cutting routine.

When does your next cycle start, or have you just started it? What is the frequency? If it is a standard 3x/week, I would just go on the safe side and cut for the following two cycles.

After all, this is your wedding, and it is a once in a lifetime event.

-Colby

thanks for the response colby.

im going to start my next cycle the last week of january. therefore that cycle should last until about the end of march. that would give me 3 months to cut (if i dont start now). if i bulk for another 2 months i will most likely need to lose an additonal 2 lbs when i cut (if i do a slow bulk and watch what i eat carefully). that would put me at about 18 lbs to lose in 3 months or 12 weeks.

if i am to lose 2 lbs a week i would have plenty of time. i THINK 2 lbs a week is as high as i can go for losing fat with minimal muslce loss.

i am leaning towards the clean bulk. does anyone agree/disagree with this plan?

Yeah, two pounds a week is too much IMO. When you say clean bulk, are you referring to eating slightly above maintenance or healthy foods and lots of good fats?

I would set yourself up so you can lose 1 lb of fat per week to hinder muscle loss.

when i say clean bulk i mean both healthy foods as well as slightly above maintenance.

i think i am going to extend the current cycle as long as possible (maybe another 2 weeks) and continue to bulk, followed by sd, followed by cutting cycles till my wedding.

i was thinking about checking out "cissus" for help w/ my joints. my shoulders are already beat up during the heavey negatives im doing.

Back