Correct Dip Technique

Peak_Power

To me dips have always been a tricep exercise, but since everyone raves about them as the best chest exercise, I thought I'd give them ago for my next 2 week block, so I need some advice on correct technqiue to focus on the chest (especially lower chest). As I do them now, I feel the triceps are doing the work, with a little stress in the front of the shoulder.

Also I have an assisted dip/chin machine, which is great.

For the record though, I am getting good results doing 1 set of incline bench and 1 set of decline press flyes.

Just a note to say I'm sure people (I think maybe Aaron?) have commented that doing dips gironda fashion is more likely to result in injuries.

I switched to doing them in this manner and liked it but recently have been using heavier weights doing max-stim style weights and switched back to 'conventional' dips. What I basically mean by that is my legs are crossed and bent behind me rather than in extended in front.

My shoulder was hurting a bit before and is ok now although I don't know if this was due to the dipping technique or just using heavier weights.

I think the argument is similar to that involving gironda's bench press to the neck - both that and the his dip technique attempt to isolate the chest more than regular dips or bench....which may be a good thing but is more dangerous.

You'd have to ask others for more clarification as I'm not 100% sure about this, just passing on what I've heard.

Cheers

Rob

Yeah, I think what Rob says is very valid. I find that if I push my elbows out as wide as I can that my right shoulder in particular doesn't like it. I wouldn't want to damage my shoulder doing this so I use a wide grip but don't force my elbows out any wider than is comfortable. Basically, I do what feels natural.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just a note to say I'm sure people (I think maybe Aaron?) have commented that doing dips gironda fashion is more likely to result in injuries.</div>

It really is because of the widening of the elbows, which you must control as it feels confortable and lessen the angle as you add weight! And also because Vince specifies avoiding lock out on the top portion, so staying in a specif ROM with lots of weight really can be dangerous (injury wise), i.o.w. plase be wise when doing this exercise.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think the argument is similar to that involving gironda's bench press to the neck - both that and his dip technique attempt to isolate the chest more than regular dips or bench....which may be a good thing but is more dangerous.
</div>

Quite right Rob! Silliy doing bench to the neck, unless of course the weight is very manageable and there is a partner to watch, the exercise should have been called Guillotine Press, I'd hate to get stuck under one of those
laugh.gif

How deep do you guys go in your dips? i dont let my elbows go any higher than my shoulders...i think i may have read letting them go any further was bad for the shoulders at some point. Is it better to go deeper?

JonnyH

The deeper you can go (safely that is) the more you get the chest involved that in my book = better hypertrophy.

But it is par for the cause, be careful!

I do Goronda style, but with feet curled back, knees holding the weight chain steady. This is also due to height restriction, doing them on the bench cradle of my machine. As I go deep myself, I find that when getting near my maxes or failure, I naturally tend to lessen the depth of the ROM.
I think the bod is trying to protect itself, and as Lol said, &quot;what feels natural&quot;. I doubt that the leg position would have much to do with injuries, and looking DOWN helps keep you in the right position.

I see some folks doing dips that are hardly dips at all. Assuming you can do plenty of reps unweighted, see how low you can go comfortably with just your body weight. That's your guide. Over time you may gain a certain amount of flexibility which will allow you to go a little deeper without risk of injury during 5s.

I agree, Lol...I have to laugh when I see someone moving a machine or a bar 3&quot; with a ton of weight on it. No growth there...
I used to BE that guy, so I know. I've learned that for growth, you want a full ROM just short of excess, which would be the injury zone. You may want to shorten it slightly in the 5's just for safety, though IMHO.

Back