Couple of Newb Questions about HST

Frank784

I've never heard of HST until it was recommended to me in another forum as I'm basically a beginner to weight-training. The way that I've always known working out was separate parts, legs one day, chest the next, ect.

I've read a couple of stickies and saw to get 15, 10, and 5 rep maxes during SD. I also saw that its more like a full-body workout thats two or three days a week; something that I've never seen before. I picked out about 6 or 8 exercises that seemed like the usual that others pick, went to the gym and did each exercise to find which weight I could do 15 times. I found it for most of them, but also most I had to raise a few times, and I'm not even sure if the final numbers were my maxes, as I might have been too tired after the few sets I had attempted.

I did that on Monday and here Wednesday, when I planned to find the 10 rep maxes, I'm sore from Monday, and don't see how I could find my 10s when I'm sore like this and can barely walk.

Please excuse my ignorance, I've tried to find some more reading on this, but find it a bit confusing and am totally new to this concept.

Do I have the right idea of finding the maxes? I'm really interested from what I've read about this program and appreciate input from those knowledgeable on the subject.

-Frank

yeh you have the right idea for your maxes. Ah the pain of new lifting
biggrin.gif
. If your too sore then you can weight until Fri to find your ten rep max or you can use this approximation.

15 rep max x1.2= 10 rep max
10 rep max x 1.15= 5 rep max

Stick with HST
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the response. I think I'll wait a couple of days as opposed to the approximations. I'll check and see how they were comparing my 15s to my 10s. Now that I have a general idea of the approximate weights and how to do the various exercises, I'll aim for the most correct weights for 10 rep maxes.

Don't be impatient.

Double check if you want.

Then start a program with 5 or 6 basic exercises, no more.

Go for these frequencies to keep your volume constant:

15's - 1 set / 10's - 2 sets / 5's and negatives - 3 sets or 3 first week 2 the second.

Use percentages rather than pounds or kilos for your load increases, 10% for big compounds and 5% if you use isolations, I and many other would recommend you stick to compounds only but you can however opt your own way.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> List
Legs - squats alternated with Deadlifts, calves if you want each day.
Chest - slight raisesd b/b bench alternate with dips (weighted)
Back - Reverse grip chin ups alternate with bent over rows
Shoulders - Military press each day
Biceps and Triceps - will get enough stimulation from chins and dips.</div>

Frank welcome aboard!
smile.gif

If you are really new to weight training (you say you are &quot;I'm basically a beginner&quot; and I'm not quite sure what that means?) it might be a good idea to spend a month or so just familiarising yourself with the exercises that you are going to use for HST. I say this because you will be going pretty heavy towards the end of the cycle and you really need to be confident and comfortable in each movement. Some will be no-brainers but not all. If you use a lot of free-weight exercises this will be particularly true.

Once you have gained experience in each movement and you have developed good form then get your maxes take an SD and start on your cycle. I know it's hard to wait before starting but Rome wasn't built in a day and you want to be safe. It would be such a shame if you sustained an injury on your first cycle.

Of course, if you have more experience than I am guessing you have then go for it!
biggrin.gif

Another thing: be sure to read the FAQs and to get your diet right. There a re lots of past threads on this that will help you.

I appreciate the responses guys. I'm kind of confused myself on how 'experienced' I am. I worked out in high school for football, as well as at my leisure, and know how standard workouts are. I never had a great diet, and by the way, I do have a pretty good one setup, and I've never had a regimented program to workout from.

You could put me in front of every machine or ask me what muscle to want to work and I'd find a few ways to work that muscle.

Basically, I've done plenty of squats, bench, most everything, except deadlift and bent over barbell rows.

Its just that now its summer, I've got a gym membership, I've got motivation, a diet setup, and now I'm looking to get a good routine going.

-Frank

Back