Critique my first cycle

HappyScrappy

I came up with this routine after all my reading and research (it's very similar to the one from the main site, but cut down a little on volume).

squat
sl deadlift

incline bench
dips

bent over row
wide chin
shrug

dumbell shoulder press
upright row
bent over lateral

overhead extensions
dumbell curls

seated calve raises

and some ab work.

I'm doing one set each. I was at the gym today testing my 15 rep maxes and the workout took about an hour and 10 minutes. I think that will be cut down quite a bit once I have my weights calculated before hand.

I know how most of you guys feel about iso's, but I'm not ready to give them up yet.

With regard to sets, I read that doing 2 sets of each movement the first week of each mesocycle, and then 1 set the second week. Is this what a lot of you do? I was thinking of giving that a try once I start after my SD phase next week.

Any suggestions before I hit the gym on wednesday to test my 10 rep maxes?

Too much volume I think.

I would just do something like this
squats
deads
bench
dips
bent over rows
chins
mil press
calves

Spyke's right, although I see no reason to work calves if squatting and deadlifting. I would alternate them though with A & B workouts:

A: squat, bench, row, press
B: deadlift, dips, chins, press

If you have to do iso's, I'd only do curls and close-grip bench presses for metabolic work (one work set) in the 5's and post 5's.

Just make sure you do full ROM on each of the compounds. Don't do half or quarter squats, do the full squat. On bent rows, do the 90 degree row where you place the bar on the floor after each rep. You'll really feel those in the rear delt.

I agree completely with liegelord. I changed my routine this time after the first couple weeks and am basically doing the setup he just posted, except no dips because my homemade dip station is screwed up. It works great.
His comment about iso's is spot on as well. I also agree about the bentover rows - keep your upper body parellel to the floor. They are a lot more productive that way, I find.

<div>
(Spyke @ May 22 2006,22:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Too much volume I think.

I would just do something like this
squats
deads
bench
dips
bent over rows
chins
mil press
calves</div>
So for something like this would you do 2 sets per movement? Or still keep it at one?

Happy

Recommended frequency and volume:

15 - 1 set - load up to 70% of 1 rep max .
10- 2 sets - load up to 80% of 1 rep max .
5 - 3 sets - load up to 90% of 1 rep max .
neg - 3 sets - load up to 100% of 1 rep max .

The chins - close/reverse grip so that you can load more and hit your arms at the same time.
cool.gif

I do things a bit different myself. I do 2 sets in the 15s and 10s and 3 sets inthe 5 and negs. You will need to try some different things out to see what works best for you.

This cycle, I've been doing 2 sets per, but I'm going to bump it to 3 for 10s and 4 for 5s, see how it works.

Back