critique my new hst routine!

asianlifter89

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have been searching here and there in this forum. Personally I think I will get the help & knowledge I need here.

I just finished a split-type training, and am on a 2 week off. After that, here is my plan:

WO1
squats
leg extension
flat bb bench
incline db flies
seated dumbell press
pullups
machine rows
triceps cable extension
machine abs

WO2
deadlifts
machine pulldowns
bb rows
incline bb bench press
flat db flies
seated military press (using smith)
incline db curl
weighted situps

2 weeks of 2x15
2 weeks of 3x10
2 weeks of 3x5
2 weeks of 3x3

the sets and rep ranges applied strictly to compound movements. As for the isolations, I only add them as accessory lifts.

this is my 2nd cycle of HST. My first one was fantastic.

Let me know what you guys think!
smile.gif

Are the isos really that bad? I mean, if I have the time to do them, is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Oh, I forgot to mention, the all the iso exercises are meant to be for 1 set only. The reason I add them is to add more volume. I would skip all the iso movements during my busy time of my school term though.

Thanks for your comment!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Are the isos really that bad?</div>

Man...its not that they're bad, but you can get more out of compounds as you can lift heavier, but you can always use techniques to mix and match, like post exhaust using a iso straight after a compound, no rest, then they are worth it!

If you are a begginer, then isos are a total waste of your time in the gym, but for advanced lifters, using advanced techniques can be turn into a winning combination!

Just my 0.2 cents worth!
wink.gif

<div>
(asianlifter89 @ Jan. 18 2009,7:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Are the isos really that bad?</div>
Good question, and one in which I would appreciate seeing some data to support. The consensus seems to be that compounds are better, but from a physiological standpoint, why?

In general, I prefer compunds to iso's, but I think it depends on what yours goals are. In my opinion, compounds allow you to cover more territory than isos. In other words, you can hit more muscles in shorter time with greater energy efficiency. This transcends into more overall fiber recruitment per exercise and associated hormonal response. My load progressions seem to be better with compounds simply because I'm preserving energy and using more muscles per exercise.  And of course, progressive load is a key element of hypertrophy.

With iso's, you are focusing more directly one specific muscle group, therefore you have more ground to cover (i.e. more exercises required to recruit more fibers). Total overall recruitment is probably less no matter how many exercises are incorporated, due to the lack of synergetic effects involved in compound movements. In short, the primary benefit of iso's are that they allow you to focus on the development of a specific muscle group. The question here is, does the specificity involved in iso's actually allow for greater development of that specific muscle group?  For example, will bicep curls stimulate the biceps to grow more than pull-ups?

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but thought I'd share my experiences. I'm sure this subject has been studied to some degree, so off to locate some research.

AL, your routing looks strong. Going lower on the iso's is probably a good thing simply because, depending on how you respond, the total volume during the 15's &amp; 10's could be a little high.

You've got pull ups and then machine rows immediately after on day 1. That could get a little fatiguing. Same with incline bench and db flies on day 2. I would pick one or the other or alternate.

i would think that the bench and db flies are enough punishment for the shoulders without the military press and db shoulder press

i stopped doing shoulder work a long time ago, and they look the same as they always did. just benching seems to be enough

Back