Shrugs
Shoulder Press
Lying Tricep Ext.
Preachers
Upright Rows

How long have you been on HST?

What is your frequency?

Do you have a split?

How many reps and sets of each exercise?

I'm starting my very first HST cycle monday.

I will be lifting once a day, three times a week on: Mon., Wed., and Fri.

My cycle will last 8 weeks. 15-10-5-5

2 Sets per exercise

You really should read through the other threads.

Anyway, I'd alternate bench with dips, rows with chins.

Also, I'd dump the leg press and curls and alternate squats with deadlifts. workout A would have squats, bench, rows etc., and workout B would have deads, dips, chins etc.

You really should read through the other threads.
Anyway, I'd alternate bench with dips, rows with chins.
Also, I'd dump the leg press and curls and alternate squats with deadlifts.  workout A would have squats, bench, rows etc., and workout B would have deads, dips, chins etc.

because they are practically the same exercises.. although chins and dips are considered better compound movements, there is no reason to do all of these in the same day

drop rows and upright rows
do deadlifts and millatry press and i wouldnt bother with preacher curls. :D

You've got a lot of exercises in your workout.

I'd suggest you do not more than 9 core exercises to start especially in the 15s and at least a week into the 10s.  You can then pick somemore if you're energized enough in your workouts.  Personally, I'd just stay with a core of about 9 exercises throughout the first cycle.

When you do a full body workout every other day you're giving yourself plenty of recovery time, but you'll really start to SAG after a few weeks if you're not giving your body the nutritition it really needs.

I'd suggest a few changes in your exercises as well.
A core group of exercises should be all compounds as possible, so you hit a many muscle groups as possible as indicated by asterisk.

A suggested exercise is written to the right of the asterisk *

Leg Press *  Squats / SLDL as alternate  
Leg Curls
Calf Raises *  Seated or standing
Inclince Bench * use Dumbbells
Dips *
Chins *
Seated Row  * Standand bent over rows
Rear Lat Raises
BB Bi Curls * Hammer curls
Shrugs
Shoulder Press  * Military type press
Lying Tricep Ext. * Skullcrushers good alternate
Preachers
Upright Rows
Tri-Pulldowns

It might be helpful to remember "Rome was not built in a day".
You need to build a strong core body to be effective with most isolation exercises.  The body has a way of doing it's proportional growth thing, i.e.  big arms come with a big upper torso.

Good luck!  
thumbs-up.gif

How about:

Squats (SLDL alternate)
Leg Curls
Standing Single Calf Raises (Seated Alternate)
Incline Bench (Dumbells Alternate)
Dips
Chins
Seated Row (Bent Over Alternate)
BB Bi Curls (Hammer Curls Alternate)
Shrugs
Tri Pushdowns (Skull Crushers Alternate)
Shoulder Press (Military Press Alternate)
Rear Lats

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cruz_Missile @ Dec. 06 2005,9:58)]How about:
Squats (SLDL alternate)
Leg Curls
Incline Bench (Dumbells Alternate)
Dips
Chins
Seated Row (Bent Over Alternate)
BB Bi Curls (Hammer Curls Alternate)
Shrugs
Tri Pushdowns (Skull Crushers Alternate)
Rear Lats
I would drop the leg curls because the squats and especially the SLDL will get the hams very well.

I would drop the shrugs because just picking up the weights throughout your workout will be putting plenty of loading on the traps.

I don't like tri-pushdowns because they usually wind up as a constricted exercise. You need to hit the long head of the triceps with a good stretch before contracting to get best workouts. I like skullcrushers or tricep extensions.

You'll be hitting the lats hard enough with chins and rows so I don't think the rear lats exercise will make that much difference.

There is one muscle group not covered...abs. You should be thinking about weighted crunches or something along that line.

Building your muscular core - should be your initial goal. Heavy compound exercises will do more for you than you can imagine. Just stay with them and you'll see good results.

Eat like a horse LOL

thumbs-up.gif

Lol, I just assumed everyone had abs included. I do a lot of weighted crunches and other ab exercises on the side besides my hst workout.

Thanks for your suggestions; they sound good to me.

Updated Workout:

Squats (SLDL Alternate)
Incline Olympic Bar Bench (DB Alternate)
Dips
Chins
Seated Row (DB Bent Over Alternate)
Shrugs (I just like them)
Tri Ext. (Skull Crushers Alternate)
Abs

Much better cruz.

Now try dropping all iso's for at least the 15's add just two for teh 10's and the rest with the 5's and negs!

Couple that with food and you got a winning mix! :D

My question now is how long should my cycle be and how many reps per quarter or third of my cycle should I be doing?

8 Week: 15r, 12r, 9r, 6r

OR

6 Week: 15r, 10r, 5r

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cruz_Missile @ Dec. 06 2005,4:08)]My question now is how long should my cycle be and how many reps per quarter or third of my cycle should I be doing?
8 Week: 15r, 12r, 9r, 6r
OR
6 Week: 15r, 10r, 5r
2 weeks 15s - 2 weeks 10s - 2 weeks 5s - 2 wks post 5s

I'd suggest 2 sets of each exercise throughout the cycle.

When you get into the post 5s in the last week I usually do 1 set of 5s and 1 set of 15s (lower weight of course). This works great going into SD and it will give you a frame of reference for what starting weight you should you start your next cycle in the 15s.

Read the articles on this site, and read the HST FAQ. If you're gonna give HST a GO, then try to stay within the guidelines. If you don't get results put up postings on these boards you'll get help. If you vary from the program, the help you get may not help.
thumbs-up.gif

I gained 20+ pounds my first HST cycle. Ta Da...
worship.gif

I alternate exercises because I can't maintain strength throughout the workout. For example, I can't max bench's after maxing on dips. Weighted chins wipe out my back so I'd lift like a girl on rows if I did them in the same workout.

You can also use larger weight increments which is better for growth. In a typical MWF routine there are only 2-3 increments through each rep range instead of 5-6.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I alternate exercises because I can't maintain strength throughout the workout. For example, I can't max bench's after maxing on dips. Weighted chins wipe out my back so I'd lift like a girl on rows if I did them in the same workout.

Which is just the right thing to do, that way both your dips and your bench will either improve or the demand will be met which will keep your main client happy (your body)
happy.gif

Same applies to chins and rows, best recipe if you want to do different exercises for the same body parts.
happy.gif

Back