cutting: ending 5s, what next?

jwbond

I am currently cutting and am ending my 5s. To save time, I use OG's idea of doing drop sets throughout the HST program.

e.g.
15s = 1 set of 15x
10s = 1 set of 10x, followed by drop set of 5x
5s = 1 set of 5x, followed by drop set of 5x, followed by dropset of 5x

Since I am cutting there is no need for SD, but since I already incorporate drop sets, what is next? I currently lift alone, so I am thinking of going back to the middle of the 10s to keep the weights heavey as I cut.

Any thoughts?

I did that, went back to the 2nd week of 10s and lifted up to my 5RM and beyond, you really notice how much easier your 10RM load is. Going backwards in weights will prolong your joints, so its a good idea, and will help you to build up to new strength gains.

Prolonging joints is a big plus for me, as I am only 25, but can tell my shoulders aren't thrilled about my 5RM.

(put up 275 5x on flat bench yesterday, and I think I could add another 5-10lbs for my 5RM. New personal record, woohoo!)

Anyone else agree/disagree with going back to mid-10s?

If your shoulders are bothering you, perhaps you could do a week of 15's and see how they feel then. Or you could do 12's, 8's, then fives.

<div>
(quadancer @ Nov. 15 2006,09:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If your shoulders are  bothering you, perhaps you could do a week of 15's and see how they feel then. Or you could do 12's, 8's, then fives.</div>
They aren't bad yet, but another week of 5s could beat em up pretty good.

Plus, I don't think higher reps would be good w/ cutting since you need to keep the load heavey to minimize lbm loss.

Yes, but you need to do something about the shoulders, since you have warning signals now. Me and others have (even recently) pushed thru pain into damage and regret it.
You could also just do a maintenance rep range for shoulders only, while doing 5's for the rest of you.

I hear ya, and agree completely. I had a shoulder injury last Dec. that kept me from doing many compounds for about 6 months.

Fortunately, after years of experience, I have a good idea of where the threshold is. These days, I am willing to get close to it, but not to push it too far.

Going to mid-10s should be fine. I just need to keep away from shoulder presses, as they are my kryptonite!

Good point...

But I still have ~10lbs to drop and 8RM for the next 6 weeks or so might get boring. Definately something to consider though.

2wks 10s
2wks 8s
2wks 5s
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ Nov. 15 2006,12:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">2wks 10s
2wks 8s
2wks 5s
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
I like it A LOT.

Keep one day at the 5s, do the other two days with your 10 RMs or whatever. I'd prefer to keep one day at my 5 rep max or at least within 5% or so. If your shoulders are bothering you, stop doing that particular exercise at your 5 RM and only do it on the lighter days. Your shoulders will probably recieve sufficient stimulation from the other compounds.

Back