Deadlift for Hypertrophy

I found this video on google, it reminded of the recent HST poll: Favorite exercise?

Of course deadlifts wiped everything else out in the poll.
This guy demonstrates well why deadlifts are important for both hypertrophy and strength.

Jonny Deadlift

That is totally bad ass. I thought he was just going to do a single, but then he kept going. Crazy bastard.

Judging my his massive shoulder complex, he is obviously using heavy androgens. People just don't get upper body mass like that naturally.

I agree though, awesome, thick physique.

Yeah, the technique is not bad, I just don't like to pond myself that hard when the weight comes down, I actually try not to bang it on my garage floor, for obvious reasons
laugh.gif

But yep it is totally bad ass!

675x3 ?  That's it ?  pffffttttt...stick to bodybuilding Johnnie

Seriously though, looking at his physique, what do you think is his weakest bodypart ?  To me, it's obvious---the calves.   Here's a bodybuilder who probably deadlifts more than 99% of all ifbb bodybuilders, is on all kinds of drugs, and he still has small calves.  I see deadlifting being recommended for good calves so often on forums (I've even done it myself quite a bit).  Obviously, this doesn't work for Jackson.  Because of his poor genetics in that area, I bet he's an expert when it comes to training that particular bodypart.  I looked up one of his training splits, and seems like he works out 4 days per week (at least on this particular split).  He trains calves three out of those four days, and all his other bodyparts (of which he really has no weaknesses and superb genetics) are trained just once per week. Just goes to show how important frequency is when your genetics are in the realm of average as opposed to ifbb status.

Muscle belly length unfortunately limits many of us.  No matter how much you lift, how many drugs you take, etc. a short muscle belly can only grow so big.  Of course most of us have many short bellies, at least Johnny only has limited calves.

He probably can't grow them anymore, short of some bizarre surgery.  Short calf-bellies is a very common problem in the dark-skinned genetic pool. I can think of many past black pros who had small calves. It is not nearly as common among caucasion bodybuilders it seems.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 17 2007,20:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Either way, I'd be willing to wipe out a small civilization if I could look like that.</div>
me, too!

Back