Deadlifts during 15s

mantica

During the 15s block, do you do deadlifts ? Or do you start them during 10s ? If yes, 1 or 2 sets ? I ususally combine Squat and SLDL, what can I add to deadlifts ? Leg curls or what else ? Or nothing.

I'm building my summer HST cycle and I'm wondering how to insert them in my plan.

Thank you

Andrea

I'd give 'em a whirl doing your 15's. Granted, you will be using rather light weight. And I would consider doing them Max-Stim so that you can have a breather in between reps. As for sets, I'm not sure as I cluster to 30 reps atm.

Max-Stim would be nice for the high rep deadlifts. When you hit your 15RM and 10RM, the deadlift can be very strenuous on your lower back and hands.

i do deads in the 15s but i only do 1 set. i start the w/o with squats and finish with deads but i dont do sldl with those anymore, just too much low back with all 3. i usually continue this way thru the 10s (2 sets) . when i get to the 5s (3 sets) and the wgt is getting serious i alternate squat with deads and throw in a little ham curl on squat day. i typically work out 3x a week, no split.

many dont like that approach but it seems to work for me. it is a lot of work at times but honestly the wgt and reps (for deads) dont seem to bother me much, even coming at the end of the w/o. the real benefit is when things start to get real heavy in the 5s (approaching 400 for me). pulling 350+ for 3 sets of 5 at the beginning of my w/o seems way easier then pulling 300+ for 2 sets of 10 at the END of my w/o (after squating less then an hour of so before).

again its not for everyone, especially if your new to lifting or HST. nothing wrong with doing one or the other each w/o for a while until youve got your RMs really nailed down (usually 3-4+ cycles). by the same token once youve been at it a while it may be worth a try to see if you like it. just because its a tough combo doesnt mean it cant be beneficial or produce results.

good luck

<div>
(bluejacket @ May 07 2007,22:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">when i get to the 5s (3 sets) and the wgt is getting serious i alternate squat with deads and throw in a little ham curl on squat day. i typically work out 3x a week, no split.</div>
How do you alternate them ? Every other workout (wo 1,3,5 deadlifts and wo 2,4,6 squat) or maybe on M/F squat and on W dealifts ?

Thank you

Andrea

Andrea

I believe in doing the deads during 15's, one to two sets, alternate one day p/week for deads two for squats.

You can skip them during 15's and do SLDL's instead but this depends on how your lower back enjoys this! Then start the deads again from 10's.

I do deads during the 15's, I consider it a great time to not only tinker with the finer points of technique but I use it as my &quot;speed work&quot; block of the routine- I work on explosiveness . This compliments the latter stages of the routine progression well as by the end of the cycle many lifts (deads in particular) could best be catagorized as &quot;slowly grinding&quot;...
smile.gif

As for your second question;

Crunch (Machine)
Squat
SLDL
Incl. Bbl Press altn. Dips
Bent Barbell Rows altn Chins (r.g.)
Seated Bbl Front Press
Standing Bbl Curls
Lying Bbl Tri. Extensions
Standing Calf Raises (Machine)

There would be many ways to mix it up a particularly effective one would be to alternate conventional with sumo. Or you could exchange SLDL for regular deads. Not really comfortable giving a &quot;one size fits all &quot; response - would need more info , what you've been doing ,what you are trying to focus on ect.ect. A fairly general ( yet extremely effective ) way to add the most mass would be to trade straight leg for conventional or sumo as stated above. I get a funny intuition that mass may not be your be all end all tho...

Back