Deads Rock!  What else to add?

jwbond

I swapped out my leg presses for Deads and leg extensions last month. I LOVE THE DEADS and wish I tried them long ago.

Anyhow, I am thinking that Deads and Leg Presses would be too much together, so I am doing Deads and leg ext., but I fear that might be too little.

What does everyone else do when making use of Deads?

I've done deads and Romanian split squats together.

They hit different parts of the leg. There's a cool variation where you hold a plate in front of you (rather than a DD in each hand) this tends to activate the core muscles more.

Deads are a 'pull' exercise. Squats are a 'push' exercise. You need both, though it's best not to do them on the same day (trust me -- I know...!).

It all depends on your strength levels. When I started out two years ago I could 'happily' manage deads and squats in each of my three times weekly sessions. After about 6 months I started alternating squats and deads. Another 6 months later and I reduced deadlifting to once a week and did back squats in my other two sessions. Now I front squat, back squat and deadlift once a week each which, with enough volume, is working just fine.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Sep. 26 2007,16:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You need both, though it's best not to do them on the same day (trust me -- I know...!).</div>
Could you explain why? What happened to you when you did this?

<div>
(XFatMan @ Sep. 29 2007,17:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(TunnelRat @ Sep. 26 2007,16:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You need both, though it's best not to do them on the same day (trust me -- I know...!).</div>
Could you explain why? What happened to you when you did this?</div>
Both squats and deads tend to be heavy lifts. They take a lot of effort, both muscular and neural. Doing both on the same day causes a big hit to your CNS (central nervous system).

I say this because I've been doing Stephan Korte's 3x3 strength program (or at least my modified, watered down version of it...). Three times each week I do 40 squats and 40 deads, plus a bunch of bench presses.

Then I go home and have to lie down...
wow.gif

Back