Decrease volume?

Hazard445

Taken from my log: Anyway, my workout today (I accidently forgot to log my last workout and deleted my info).
I increased my volume to 30 reps, had to end up clustering them, I feel WHIPED out. I beleive im going to drop back down to 20 reps per day or something, my body feels extremely drained, or maybe this is a good thing?

15's

Squat 200x15 10 5
Incline bench 115x15 10 5
Rows 90x15 10 5
Shoulder press 80x8 5 (I was extremely drained by this workout, and couldn't even perform all my reps!)
Abwork

Volume is a very individual thing. Being tired after a workout to a reasonable degree is ok.

However, being extremely tired probably means that you are taking on too much. On occasion it might not hurt, but working that hard over time is likely to have an effect on your overall recovery and ability to get through the program successfully.

I think that you will be wise to cut back to the 20 reps. You can re-evaluate what amount of volume is optimal after finishing this HST cycle and seeing how your results are.

I appreciate the constructive comment. What I was facing was a very very fatigued feeling, I couldn't even finish my shoulder press because my delts were blown by the incline bench; which I beleive if the volume of one workout is effecting another, I must decrease.

no...if you are overtraining with 30, then cutting back to 20 will be fine. Once you find your 'happy medium' try to stick with it though, even if it gets very hard at the end.

Thanks SI, I was just curious as to how I would know wether the volume is overtraining me? does the sign that I couldn't even perform my shoulder press at the end show overtraining? Or is it more of like...My progression gets slowed down.

Well one major issue I noticed is you have incline presses and overhead presses in the same workout. I know that would burn my front delts out, so I don't do them both. Try getting rid of one of those, maybe try dips and presses, and skip inclines, that might help before you go and drop volume.

The thing is I do my overhead presses in every workout, I was recommended to do that by someone. Perhaps next week when I start my 10's I can change that? Also- clustering my reps for example, as a 30 rep workout, I would need to do 10x3 on my 10's, however, lets say I can only do 7 on my 3rd set, I would rest until I can do a 4th set of 3, with the SAME WEIGHT? correct?

correct.

As far as pressing...how about doing flat bench and press, then on the other day do dips and press? If you really love incline, then do dips and incline on one day and flat bench and military press on the next.

My delts tend to get overworked, so I am not doing overhead press every workout this cycle.

I really love incline because I feel it hits my pectorals more (Since my pecs are and front deltoids lagging, I beleive the front bench press will fix that , along with my whole upper body). I feel like keeping it, however, I would want to be able to improve my delts as well. Could you perhaps recommend me something where I can keep my incline bench, and also perform well in my delts? Perhaps alternate mil press with...side lat raises or soemthing

Back