Definitions

omega99

Though I've been lurking and reading here for a few months, I still sometimes get confused with the way "some" of the BB terms are used. Does there exist a glossary that correctly defines many of the terms and acronyms so commonly used here....ie. volume, work, load, TUT, TUL, DOMS, RBE, etc, etc?

Umm, HST would be an easy one :-)

Thanks for the info, Sci. Still a little confused on the definitions of "volume" and "work". Some people seem to use volume to describe total reps (or reps x sets), while in some cases, I believe I've seen volume described as weight (or load) x total reps.

I've also run across posts where the use of the term "work" seems ambiguous. From a purely physics standpoint, work is defined as force x distance, but I don't always find it being used that way.

And, to further complicate things, one has to wonder how force (ma) and momentum (mv) correlate to HST principles, but I digress...

Volume = total reps
Work = weight (or load) x distance
Total Work = Volume x Work

Work is a concept of physics that is rarely used here. When I workouted under Power Factor Training principles over two years ago, work was the centerpiece of weightlifting logic.
rock.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And, to further complicate things, one has to wonder how force (ma) and momentum (mv) correlate to HST principles, but I digress...</div>

Force is the load... and momentum deals with the velocity of your reps. You gain momentum from high speed negative reps which equals out to less strain on the muscle and an easier concentric rep.

Good question, and since I haven't looked at the Glossary I created in some time now, I'll have to add those and others in this weekend.

If you will post a list, it will make it easier for me hint hint

Thanks

Back