Deployed soldier about to start 2nd cycle

FURY_MEDOPS

Hey all,

First of all I want to introduce myself, My name is Mark and I am 1LT currently deployed to Afghanistan with the 82nd airborne division.  I am approximatley 6'0 and about 210 lbs.

I completed my first cycel about 9 days ago and am about to finish my SD phase.  I will admit I have been training for about 5 years and I liked HST more than anything I have used before.

Id say I gained about 5 pounds but I was not as concerned about my weight as much as my size and that imroved drastically.

My question is basically to see if someone will look over my proposed second cycle schedual and shoot me some feedback.  I would really appreciate it, I understand you can tweak HST to an extrent but I just want to make sure that I am doing the excercises I like but not losing the hypertrophy specific effect.

2 other questions I had are:

1. Should abdominals be trained under the HST method or would that not be as effective for that specific muscle group.

2. For muscle groups that get trainined every weight training session i.e. biceps, calves, tris....can you rotate excercises for example A wokrout I do concentration curls, B workout I do dumbel curls.  Im still training bis every workout but just not always doing one lift.  

Thanks for all your help...see workout below:

Workout A
Squat
Leg Curl
Flat Bench
Lat Pulldowns
Hammer Shoulder Press
R Delts
Barbell Shrugs
E-Z Curl Biceps
Tri Press
Weighted Calf Raises

Workout B
Dead lift
Lunges
Dips
Bent over BBell Rows
Incline Bench
Dumbell Military
Shrugs
Dumbell Bicep Curl
Reverse Tri Press
Leg sled Calf press

Sorry I edited my post I did realize i forgot to take out my last two excercises...this is final list.....also I know simple is better but last time I did military press w/ barbell last cycle and altrernated with rear delts and felt that my shoulders did not get enough training that is why I have added two shoulder pressing excercises.

Wow, LT, that seems to me to be an awful lot of exercises - 11 on the A routine and 12 on the B with a lot of isolation moves. I have a couple of questions. How long do your workouts take and are you able to recover well? Are you doing this 3 w/o per week or 2? What are S Hammers and D Hammers? I'm assuming that they are variations of Hammer Curls and that Close Grip is a Close Grip Bench Press.

I noticed that you do a vertical pull only in the A routine and a horizontal pull only in the B. Personally, I would do a vertical pull and a horizontal pull in each routine and back off on the extra curls and triceps movements. If I had the time, I would do 1 isolation Bicep move and 1 isolation Tricep move per workout and do different moves in each routine, e.g. Incline curls on A day and Hammer Curls on B day.

I would plan a workout using the following scheme.

BASIC EXERCISES
2 lower body moves
1 horizontal push
1 horizontal pull
1 vertical push
1 vertical pull

EXTRA ISOLATION STUFF IF TIME AND RECOVERY ABILITY ALLOWS
Calves
Traps
Biceps
Triceps

Anyway, that's what I would do, but you know your own body and what your recovery capabilities are better than anybody. I don't have a good answer for your ab question, but somebody here will.

Also, welcome to the forum and good luck to you in Afganistan. That's a hell of a place to have to spend Christmas.

Greets Mark,

Nice to have you on the forum.

To answer your first question about abs - YES, you should train them like any other body part in HST. That means you need a way to progress the load, same as biceps, legs, etc. You may hear people talk about using high reps for the abs or low weight or whatever. Some people may even have an explanation as to why, going into things like fiber types. All of that is irrelevant. Train abs like any other muscle.

Your biceps training is fine. Many weightlifters will change their exercise selection . Some do it for variety, others do it with the intent on sculpting, still others do it in a strategic fashion to improve strength gains.

If part of your training involves combat fitness then have a look at the article below. It is written by the same trainers who worked with the 300 actors. They also train cycling and jujitsu champions in addition to spec ops personnel. It offers some advice on training to reduce combat fatigue and strengthening core muscles to make breathing easier (like when you're carrying a pack and a rifle). In any case, I'm sure you'll find it enlightening.

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=12

Like El_Viejo I'm concerned that you have a lot of lifts in there. 12 lifts a day is a lot to do. But if you are growing on it and you like doing them then there's no dire need to change.

Back