diet, gains, hst principles

slofut

I was reading quickups thread and it touches on a few questions I hope some of you may help me with.
 Regarding calories/protein consumption... As an endo/meso, I tend to keep a nice soft BF of around 24% at best. At present I'm 5'7" and 160lbs. I just spent the past year losing 30lbs of fat gained the previous year from symbiax (don't ever take that stuff!)And the weight loss was from eating [less] and working out. Lifting produced very good muscle gains, although right now I'm close to stalled (since starting hst). Actually, I've made better gains in muscle size and strength at 48yrs old than my best numbers when I was religiously (over)training hard in my twenties. Go figure? But one delimma is this. If I eat more, especially calories, I'm sure it's gonna add up on my belly. It takes all I can do to get that spare tire down to an acceptable level as it is. And that's not really acceptable at 24%bf. Of course I know plenty guys with more ecto body types that can eat like a horse, gain muscle and not gain bf, (I may need to have them eliminated). But I don't want to risk putting fat back on my belly after working so hard to get it down to this point(and lower). So I feel like it's a fine line where I'm eating to gain muscle or fat. Any ideas?
Next, I'm new to HST and I've gone through the first round of 15's, 10's and 2 wks of 5's. I lost some muscle tone and size in the 15's. The first weeks of 10's and 15's  poundages felt very light, although I understand it's more
for conditioning and joint health than gaining size, and it definetly helped my low back and shoulder injuries (thank you). But the workouts felt too easy, no pumps, and left me wondering if I was wasting my time. Also, I only get light pumps at best at the heavy end of the 2 week cycles. Is this normal with HST? I'm thinking of using smaller weight increments in the 15 and 10rm, instead of 5 and 10 pounds. At the second week of 5's I've almost gained back the size and tone I lost, and maybe 2 more weeks of 5's may produce a little gain in size. But then, after a week of SD, and back to 15's, I'm wondering if I'm going to lose size again and have to spend 4 weeks just to get back to baseline. Again, I'm 48yrs old, 5'7", 160lbs, 25%bf and a pudgy belly ...although a lot better than it was. I'd like to be 175/180 with 18's and 30's and 15%bf, is this realistic? Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

Pump is irrelevant. The pump does not cause muscle growth, and is not necessary at all.
If you don't want to gain fat, don't bulk. Keep a 500 daily calorie deficit, keep working out and eventually you will be 15% bodyfat.

Great point For totentaz !

It's very difficult to lose weight and bulk at the same time !

I think you have to lose weight before in order to reach 15% bf and after you can start bulking.

<div>
(slofut @ May 19 2006,09:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'd like to be 175/180 with 18's and 30's and 15%bf, is this realistic?</div>
I'd like to be 6'4&quot;, 300 lbs @ 4% Bf, but reality slaps me upside the head and says Dan, your 41 yrs old, 5'9&quot; with the hormones of a girl, so wake the F up.

Yes, it's realistic but you have to work at it
wink.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ May 19 2006,13:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(slofut @ May 19 2006,09:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'd like to be 175/180 with 18's and 30's and 15%bf, is this realistic?</div>
I'd like to be 6'4&quot;, 300 lbs @ 4% Bf, but reality slaps me upside the head and says Dan, your 41 yrs old, 5'9&quot; with the hormones of a girl, so wake the F up.

Yes, it's realistic but you have to work at it
wink.gif
</div>
Thanks for the input guys.
Dan,
Thanks for the reply. Work has never bothered me.
I guess maybe one thing I was asking is about proportions. At 5'9&quot; and 180lbs, can you have 18&quot; arms and 28&quot; thighs at a decent bf? Or would you be more like 200lbs?
Also, since I've made better gains in strength and size than I did when I was 23yrs old, I'm privy to the idea that I can still make gains in muscle size. And if I have to make reality adjustments to my goals as I go, I can do that too. I'll go for broke though.
I think I'll keep on a calorie def though, I've made actual size gains on arms and legs through this weight loss period, mostly on a 4 day upper/lower split. But I'm kinda liking the hst thing so if I make even small consistent gains, I think I'll stay on it and try to refine my poundages along the way for heavier workouts.
One thing about being 48 though... 220lbs on your back tends to squeeze your spine pretty hard. As far as muscle strength, I could squat a bit more but my back ain't cooperating, when I was 24 it was my piss ant thighs...
Thanks all for the advice,
Bill

Never said you were afraid of work, just be aware it won't come easy or overnight.

Anyway I don't know if you have ever used Bryan's Max Size Calculator or not, and no it's not a guarantee, but it may give you an idea of what genetically you may be able to realize.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'd like to be 6'4&quot;, 300 lbs @ 4% Bf, but reality slaps me upside the head and says Dan, your 41 yrs old, 5'9&quot; with the hormones of a girl, so wake the F up.</div>

Hahaha... funny as hell.

Ironic since I am currently watching America's Funniest Home Videos.

Bill, I am 5&quot;10, 41 years young and have recently been bulking (last 3 cycles) and am now 205lbs. My arms are getting towards 17&quot; but I am carrying between 15 and 20% bf now.

Whilst you may want 18&quot; arms at low bf you would have to have particularly favourable genetics to make it that far unless you hit the juice.

If you check out the following link and look at the Mr. America winners up to 1954, when there was little chance that these guys were taking drugs to get their size, you will see that only two had recorded arm measurements of 18&quot; and both these guys were tall (5' 11.5&quot; and 6'1&quot;). Don't dispair though. 17.5&quot; guns would look fantastic at low body fat.

Mr A sizes

Also, work your back hard with deadlifts and SLDLs and you will help strengthen it for heavier squats. They have really helped me to feel comfortable with over 315lbs on the bar. 6 months ago I would have snapped in two!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ May 19 2006,19:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Never said you were afraid of work, just be aware it won't come easy or overnight.

Anyway I don't know if you have ever used Bryan's Max Size Calculator or not, and no it's not a guarantee, but it may give you an idea of what genetically you may be able to realize.</div>
Hey Dan,
Thanks for the link to the max size calculator. It says arms 16.9 and thighs 25.9. I'm at 15.5 and 24.5 so I'll just keep pushing. When I graduated high school I was 110lbs, and thighs the size of most arms. It took 4 years of dilligent squatting to gain to 135lbs. And never got past 14.25&quot; arms. So after a 25yr layoff (when I was a kid I never dreamed I'd quit working out) my gains of late really have me optimistic. Saw a guy in the local gym the other day, about my height and about 38yrs or so and his arms looked like he had a roll of cookie dough under his skin! Damn I'd like to have guns like that!
Bill

BTW... that was pretty funny...

<div>
(Lol @ May 19 2006,22:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bill, I am 5&quot;10, 41 years young and have recently been bulking (last 3 cycles) and am now 205lbs. My arms are getting towards 17&quot; but I am carrying between 15 and 20% bf now.

Whilst you may want 18&quot; arms at low bf you would have to have particularly favourable genetics to make it that far unless you hit the juice.

If you check out the following link and look at the Mr. America winners up to 1954, when there was little chance that these guys were taking drugs to get their size, you will see that only two had recorded arm measurements of 18&quot; and both these guys were tall (5' 11.5&quot; and 6'1&quot;). Don't dispair though. 17.5&quot; guns would look fantastic at low body fat.

Mr A sizes

Also, work your back hard with deadlifts and SLDLs and you will help strengthen it for heavier squats. They have really helped me to feel comfortable with over 315lbs on the bar. 6 months ago I would have snapped in two!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Lol,
Thanks for the reply. The link was really cool, I haven't seen some of those names in many years. You're (and Dan)right though, I'm sure I'd beat the odds to make even 17&quot; arms, but I want 'em bad. ...So I'll be in my gym. As a kid growing up, my best friends dad was a lifter/bodybuilder. He had 18&quot; arms in the 60's, a tiny waist, and monster thighs. He brought me Iron Man mags and Weider stuff, and he built the bench press I'm using today. I once watched him bench 400lbs. His nickname was Big Mont and followed him 'till his death last year. He preached to me &quot;eat calves liver 3 times a week&quot;. I still love grilled calves liver...
Bill

Back