Does HST work on a split routine?

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_froggone
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_froggone

Hi

i was wondering if HST works if you do splt workouts. 3 workouts a week each day concentrating on different muscle groups.

ie Monday - Chest,shoulders and tris

Wednesday - Legs

Fridays - Back,Bis

i would like to try this sort of routine, however i am not sure how to apply the HST principles. It seems there would not be enough frequency. Upping the weight once a week would take ages to get to your max. So i gather this sort of routine would not work?? Or is there someway of making this work??

thanks guys

frog

This is why we prefer not to use it, it is innefective!

Try the full body thing out and then come back and tell us
butbut.gif

You could try it if you split the body in half and train 6 days a week.

But the way you are stating it is the complete opposite of HST.

Joe G

Good point Joe

Let us add or 3 days a week twice a day, that also works, then split push/pull or upper body/lower body.

In HST we don't generally split bodyparts
butbut.gif
for training rather as above.

Stick with the basic HST routine.

If you can get the best results out of 3 days why bother with 6:confused:

Enjoy that time doing other things...that how I see it.

At least for the married family guys..hehe
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joe.Muscle @ Oct. 13 2005,9:58)]Stick with the basic HST routine.
If you can get the best results out of 3 days why bother with 6:confused:
Enjoy that time doing other things...that how I see it.
At least for the married family guys..hehe
laugh.gif
exactly it might be a little "unconventional" compared to the split routine..but dont just write off HST routine yet. give it a try for the full cycle

[b said:
Quote[/b] (froggone @ Oct. 13 2005,8:43)]Hi
i was wondering if HST works if you do splt workouts. 3 workouts a week each day concentrating on different muscle groups.
ie Monday - Chest,shoulders and tris
Wednesday - Legs
Fridays - Back,Bis
i would like to try this sort of routine, however i am not sure how to apply the HST principles. It seems there would not be enough frequency. Upping the weight once a week would take ages to get to your max. So i gather this sort of routine would not work?? Or is there someway of making this work??
thanks guys
The routine you outlined is a more conventional style and designed to permit you to take each bodypart to failure, then give it a full week to recover. I've seen this type of program called MaxOT, or maximum overload training. It's good because you give your CNS a full 48 hours to recover from each workout, like HST, but bad because you give each muscle too much time to recover, losing any growth each workout might have stimulated. The research behind HST suggests that more frequent, sub-failure training of each bodypart is more conducive to muscle growth.

The #1 thing that makes HST so different is frequency of training. You gotta be training your bodyparts at least 3x/wk.

thanks guys..... that confirms what i was thinking. I have been doing full body in my previous two HST rountines with great success and was just wondering if i could through a split routine into the mix. There is no way i would workout 6 days a week or twice a day so i will stick with the full body.

thank

froggone

Back