DOMS

Captain Crunch

I'm just wondering if DOMS is a good thing or something we are trying to avoid? I assume that some muscle soreness is a good thing as we then know that we have done something worthwhile in our workout but maybe I'm wrong.

DOMS is neither good nor bad. It just is a fact of lifting. Basically it is your body reacting to a movement it isn;t used to. After a few weeks they won't be as bad, you may not even get them at all. Just try to work through them at first, Icy-hot works well.

10......9.....8....7.....(can anyone guess what I'm counting down for?) LOL
tounge.gif

I may be an Expert; DKM may be a Pimp; Bryan may be The Bryan. But there is only one Philosopher King! :D

DOMS is an inflammatory signal, usually associated with significant microtrauma in muscle (i.e. provided you're rested and eating correctly.) This relationship seems to be one way, though. Although soreness usually indicates more-than-sufficient stimulation, muscles with significant microtrauma do not always exhibit DOMS.

DOMS can be a bad thing if the pain (or the significant E/C decoupling) prevents you from progressively loading or completing your intended reps.

Generally, I look for some mild DOMS at the beginning of the HST cycle. Not necessarily in all of the places (back rarely gets it) but in most areas, such as legs and upper torso. That lets me know I've found a right balance between SD and starting training loads.

cheers,
Jules

Thanks for all the info. I love all this learning and building at the same time. To exercise the mind and body is a wonderful thing although sometimes will on the info you all provide I think I am getting DOMS on the brain! :D

Thanks again,

Mike

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ May 11 2005,8:58)]I may be an Expert; DKM may be a Pimp; Bryan may be The Bryan.  But there is only one Philosopher King!  :D
I think I know how to make myself big; therefore I know I can make you big ;) God love ya Vince
thumbs-up.gif

Back