drop set 5's

malehorse

HS comrads,
I apologize if this is redundant.  I am new to the HST lifestyle and am extatic about someone finally using science to back up performance and lifting rather than personal ideas and norms.  
My question is concerning comments made about 5's and using dropsets.  If one decides to commit to 4 weeks of 5's and throw in days with drops, do the principles of progressive load still apply (i.e. my max dumbell press =100; start with nearly no weight?-increment of 10? or 5?) or continue using the same load for 1-2 workouts along with the drop sets?  Please clarify,
appreciative,
sam  
worship.gif

Sam

I am not so clear as to what you want! :confused:

You state a max. is it a 1RM or 5RM?

Progressive load applies as long as possible but weights can be repeated for 3 sessions or so if this becomes a problem.

Drop sets are more of a means to an end, most of us use them to complete a heavy set without going to failure.

Please clarify
thumbs-up.gif

I think what you are asking is during the extended fives do you use the same weight and then add drops?

Let me spell it out.

If extending the fives for 4 weeks, your 1st 2 weeks will be progressive. Your next 2 weeks will be working with your 5RM.

Drops sets do not need to be progressive. To correctly perform drops; Immediately after your last work set (without any break) drop the weight to whatever weight will cause extreme burning in the target muscle in about 7 to 10 reps. Once the burn is acheived immediatley drop the weight again and rep out again until the burn is very uncomfortable (if you wish to perform 2 drop sets).

Back