Drop Sets

lizard

I am getting ready for my last two weeks of the cycle. Since I lift early and the only one in the gym I have opted for drop sets. I do not want to extend the 5's because I get bored with the same workout. So please take a look and give any feedback possible.
Mon-Wen
1. DB INCLINE x5 (max) set of 15 to failure
2. Back Rows x5 (max) Sat of 15 to failure
3. Shruggs x 5 (max) Set of 15 to failure
4. Millitary x5 (max) set of 15 to failure
5. Side raise x 20
6. Leg curl x5(max) 15 to failure
7. Leg Extension x 20
8. Brain Crusher X5 (max) 15 to failure
9. DB Curl X5 ( max) 15 to failure
10. Leg Press ( max) squate 15 to failure

Thanks

Only one set of 5s? I would do at least 2 and then a drop-set. If you have been doing three sets of 5s the previous two weeks I would stick at that and add a drop-set. Don't bother going to failure on the drop-set though. As I see it there's no point. Use your 15 RM and do about 10 reps. That should feel bad enough.  
smile.gif

If you were doing chins and dips I would suggest going into negative territory and then doing a body-weight set.

Read the FAQ post of drop-sets, Bryan says not to specify a number of reps/sets for the drop, just to keep dropping til you know its done. He probably expresses it better than that, but I CBF getting the quote.

I agree with lol do at least 2 working sets with the 5s, or max-stim style up to 15 reps (if you've been doing 3x5 to keep volume the same).

Failures 3x a week? C'mon guys, pay attention! Even for failure training, drop sets have been recommended for only once a week. But it's your life.

Since the problem is boredom, perhaps using max-stim for the third set...but that could be a bit much after two sets. ...?

I don't think the failure thing will be a big deal since he said he doesn't feel like extending the 5s, and so it will only be for two weeks. I still wouldn't do it, but who knows, maybe it will work well for him right before an SD?

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 10 2006,13:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Failures 3x a week? C'mon guys, pay attention! Even for failure training, drop sets have been recommended for only once a week. But it's your life.

Since the problem is boredom, perhaps using max-stim for the third set...but that could be a bit much after two sets. ...?</div>
actually quad it says this
(quote)
CNS fatigue in and of itself is not a problem. The problem arises when you begin to overtrain (general term). CNS fatigue all by itself will not hamper your gains. Your gaisn will only be hampered if you can't lift the amount of weight you were supposed to, or if you begin to delay training all together.

Here's what I would suggest. If you would like to incorporate drops into your 5s, just do it once the first week. So, I the first day of 5s, do a drop set for the last exercise for each muscle group. Then, see how you feel on Wed (or next workout). The next week, do some drop sets on the first workout that week, and on the alst workout that week. Then, see how you feel. If you feel fine, then you can try doing them more often on your next cycle.

there is nothing wrong with training to faliure just not all the time.
if you want to improve strength and maxes thats what you have to do sometimes.
i train to faliure every 2nd wk on the last day of each mini cycle,you then have 2 wks to recover before you train to faliure again ,plenty of time for your CNS to recover.
also if you are doing negs or post 5s you are more than likely training to faliure anyway,especially if you continue with your 5rm and want to increase the weight,but you then have at least 9 days sd to recover so no problem.

I guess for me, the worst DOMS I'd ever get were from drop sets, so I take them seriously. You're right about hitting failure on the MR days tho. I hit failure here and there in the workout itself, but always just re-do that weight before progressing. I hadn't thought about him on the fives, and doing failures anyway. But two weeks of failure training with HST scheduling? It just seems like a recipe for total overtraining, at least for us older guys...like in the first week! (insert grandpa smiley here)

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 11 2006,15:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I guess for me, the worst DOMS I'd ever get were from drop sets, so I take them seriously. You're right about hitting failure on the MR days tho. I hit failure here and there in the workout itself, but always just re-do that weight before progressing. I hadn't thought about him on the fives, and doing failures anyway. But two weeks of failure training with HST scheduling? It just seems like a recipe for total overtraining, at least for us older guys...like in the first week! (insert grandpa smiley here)</div>
but remember mate after the 2wks you have to sd for 9 days or so plenty of time to recover plus the 15s is like a deload also
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back