dumbell increments

HappyScrappy

I saw a thread a post about this before, but I couldn't find it again.

I'll be doing incline dumbell presses and shoulder presses during my first HST cycle. If my max on the 15's is only 55 for the incline, should I start at the 30's and go up by 5 each week? Or would it be better to use the same weight two workouts in a row. For example, 45 45, 50 50, 55 55?

Same with shoulders, my 15 rep max are the 40s. So should I start at 15s (which feel like nothing) and go up to the 40s on workout 6, or go 30 30, 35 35, 40 40?

Thanks.

<div>
(liegelord @ Jun. 04 2006,15:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's fine, but why are you using DB's instead of a BB?</div>
I have shoulder issues and when using a bar it tends to get aggravated.

You said &quot;that's fine&quot;, but I had two options in my original post
smile.gif

Which one should I go with?

A pretty good rule of thumb is to start your 15s with a weight that is around 50-60% of your 5RM for a particular exercise. So, once you know your 5RM you can guage your starting weight for the cycle and then work out increments to your 15RM.

If you have to use dbs you will no doubt find that you have to use the same weights for several workouts.

So, if your 5RM was using 80lb dbs then a good place to start for 15s would be 45lb dbs. If your 15RM is 55lbs then your progression would be 45,45,50,50,55,55 or something similar.

Back