exercises which stress lower back

Nemesis7884

how often can you incorporate exercises that stress your lower back into your weekly schedule?

i seem to have problem to do squats, sldl, deadlifts, legpress more then 3x per week total no matter in which combination

even doing 2 of them in the same workout seems to stress my lower back too much

(i am on a 5x fullbody routine)

what are your experiences?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ May 29 2005,2:34)]how often can you incorporate exercises that stress your lower back into your weekly schedule?
i seem to have problem to do squats, sldl, deadlifts, legpress more then 3x per week total no matter in which combination
even doing 2 of them in the same workout seems to stress my lower back too much
(i am on a 5x fullbody routine)
what are your experiences?
You mention "stress". That means different things to different people.

When I think of stress...I'm thinking of being right on the edge of injury by straining to do the exercise and I'm getting irritating pains during the exercise.

When I think lack of recovery I'm thinking of:

taking too much time between sets to catch my breath
too tired too early in my workouts
Soreness continues one workout to the next

-----------

I'd do what I was comfortable with, as far as how many sets and times a week. If I had your problem - I'd probably go to 20 reps on those exercises for a while and let the lactic acid do it's work on strengthening my connective tissues. I'd go to burn with 2 sets at least.

Squats and SLDL are pretty well the big two, because you can't lift heavier without making the respective muscle groups strong enough to handle the future workloads.

It all depends on your own physical tolerances. You have to understand that you can build your own work capacity up to the point where you can squat three times a week. I manage to squat thrice weekly, along with one day that includes deadlifts. Standing military presses also test the core, and will put some pressure on the lower back.

At the same time, I work five days a week. The job involves a good deal of lifting, so this adds to the stress my lower back takes, and yet I have no problems.

Nemesis

Here are a few things you could do:

1 - Go back to 15's and re-do till back feels stronger, (personally not my favourite option
tounge.gif
and I am sure you know why!) it might just be what you need to do or what you did not do correctly.

2 - Alternate between deadlifts and squats never do them on the same day. At the same time get either an elastic brace (there are some excellent one's around) or a good lifting belt.

3 - I see you mention leg press, that is an alternative to squats, have you tried skipping squats and doing just the leg press?
butbut.gif

4 - This is one that not all of us would go for, yet I find it a good option to strengthen the back muscles,
"hyperextensions" with or without weights and
"good mornings", with a barbell.

By any rate, If I were you I'd visit a physiotherapist to let him/her have a look at it and get a second opinion, then use whatever works and carry on.

Fausto

I've found that working the lower back more than 3x a week leads to not-so-fun soreness.

So I chuck my Bent Over Rows and Deadlifts on the same day now.

Deads, SLDL and Squats.......you should prob. only do one of those exercises in a given session.

Back