Extend 10's before moving to 5's?

Bulldog

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not. If it has been discussed then I apologize in advance for starting a redundant thread.

But say you get to your 10 rep max at the end of the second week of 10's, and you do it without to much problem because your strength has increased. What would you think of extending the 10's for as long as you can increase weight before moving on to the 5's?

I'm considering doing this in my next cycle. Mostly because I see most of my growth during the 10's and tend to put on a little more fat during the 5's.

Any thoughts?

go with it !
no problems thats good ! im dpoing that too... and after that you can switch to 8 reps...
dont do the 15/10/5 thing every time...

I think extending is a great idea as long as you can stick to longer cycles. For 5s, I usually go with (and recommend) incrementing only once a week. For 10s, I would probably increment every other workout. Then try and progress the loads once you hit your tested RMs and see how far you can progress.

<div>
(Totentanz @ May 28 2007,18:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think extending is a great idea as long as you can stick to longer cycles.  For 5s, I usually go with (and recommend) incrementing only once a week.  For 10s, I would probably increment every other workout.  Then try and progress the loads once you hit your tested RMs and see how far you can progress.</div>
Tot, so do you still start at about 75% of your 5RM and take 6 weeks to get to your projected 5RM....and then extend as long as possible after that, still incrementing once per week?

Yeah, I generally start at 75-80% of my 5 RM, whichever makes for even increments, then once I hit my 5 RM, attempting to increase the weight each week. It usually works well.

Bulldog - I've also been thinking about extending the 10s.
(The 15s seem more to lube the joints and the high intensity of the heavy 5s seems to pummel my joints - Therefore the 10s seem just right for me also!)

So I was thinking about concentrating on the 10s for 4 or 6 weeks.

2 weeks building up to 10 rep max
2 weeks building up to a new 10 rep max - 2.5 or 5kg more weight
2 weeks building up to a new 10 rep max - 2.5 or 5kg more weight again

OR -  simply progress slower up to the 10 rep max over 4 weeks
For example - TWO workouts (containing 6 increments) alternated
[WK1] A 70% B 70% A 75% ... etc ... [WK4] B 95% A 100% B 100%

(Tho my last option seems a bit slow to reach the maxes!)

Any ideas that would be beneficial and work for the extended 10s would be great! ...

Back