Extending the traditional 8 week cycle

noland0

Just read HST summed up by lyle.
He mentions that you could <small><small><small>(easily :P)</small></small></small> setup a 16 week cycle..
So i was thinking, in what way could you effectively do this whilst adhering to HST principles.
Came up with the following but each has a 'con':
- Lowering the starting weight (at what point does the weight become non-effective for hypertrophy)
- Decreasing the increments? (i've frequently seen this question addressed as the higher the increment the better 'shock' it gives workout to workout)
- Alternating exercises workout to workout? (lacking frequency) (on a 3 day p/ week)

any thoughts?
Thanks

If you're going to double the length of the entire cycle, then just repeat each day in the mini-cycles.

15's
75%
75%
80%
80%
85%
85%
90%
90%
95%
95%
15RM
15RM

Repeat for 10's, 5's, etc. You'd be progressing the weight and not starting out too low.

Basically just repeat weights as Tom said. Once you get into the 10s and definitely into the 5s, loads will become effective for more than just one workout session. An alternative is as you surmised, alternating workouts with six increments in each workout. Also, I would recommend if you do something along these lines to keep the 15s at two weeks, extend the 10s to three weeks and fill in the remainder with 5s and post-5s. That would be a more productive cycle overall for muscle growth and strength gain than doing four weeks of 15s and 10s.

Longer to gain mass/strength before you take time off. The 15s and possibly the very early 10s won't be doing a lot to stimulate growth, they are mainly meant as prep for when you get into the heavier weights. Drawing out the cycle length will keep you working with the heavier weights for a longer period.

Back