Feedback last cycle/Increasing weight vs READY to increase weight

Hi guys,

My last cycle I decided to make it simplier and just shooted for a total rep goal (15 reps) and worked out 2 times the week. Each session the weight increased by 5%. I started with 70% of my 3x5RPM.(which resulted about 60%of my 1rpm)
To simplifiy it even more I did 3x5 each time i hit the gym.

What I noticed quite early, was that after each session I got sorer and sorer. I was able to increase by 5% each workout but I had not the impression that my body was able to handle the weight increase in a good way. I think the fatigue accumulated quite fast for my body and this is were the question of "Increasing weight vs beeing ready to increase the weight" comes to play.

Wthout getting to much in depth, we know that after each session we gain "fitess" and fatigue".

In HST we don´t wait till we reach a upper rep range or sth, we always increase the weight. If we getting more sore we take advantages of lowering the reps or cluster them, myo rep them, max stim them.

But is this really optmial? LEts say my last session was 100x3x5 difficult. Next time I hit 105 and notice I am fatigued, so I switch to 5x3 to get the total reps in.
But lets say instead of moving to 105 I would kick a light day in and THEN in increase the weight in the next session after the light day.
The fatigue would be reduced and perhaps I could get the 105x3x5 in with no problem.

I am not talking about "training for strength" but is it wise to always bump up the weight if the body is still sore, and has not "adapted" to the new demands/load? I think this will result in a fast accumulation of fatigue and will shorten the cycle drastically and someome might overreach and need to deload earlier anyway.

Does some HST guys had similar thoughts or problems? Did Bryan said sth to this?

Thank you TG

You don't have to increase the weight every session.

Typically if fatigue is a problem, you would drop volume. That's sort of the idea behind myo-reps, allowing your body to self-regulate volume based on fatigue. Some days you may not get as many reps as other days, not a big deal.

thanks tot.

Not to start a discussion again, but IME its different if you work really "lighter" or if you again work "heavy" but of fatigue from some previous sessions you get less volume in.
I think this won´t allow for proper recovery. the fatigue won´t dispate but will build up.
Won´t it be better to wait some sessions till the weight fells lighter and then increase the weight again?

Last edited:
In my experience, dropping volume for a session or two has always worked. I'm not saying dropping the weight is not a viable option, I just think that within an HST setup, it would be better to manipulate volume backward rather than going backwards with the load.

But as Alex said, it does seem to be directly related to lack of proper diet control. I will go a step further and say overall nutrition including appropriate vitamin supplementation and getting adequate sleep are often the culprits behind fatigue build up. You should not be experiencing so much fatigue from only 15 total reps even using your 5 RM if you are getting adequate nutrition and sleep.

I thought that insterting a light day in terms of "weight" might be more effiicient in deloading becasue "intensity" is also the main adaptiuon factor.

In my experience, the load isn't typically the primary thing fatiguing you, it is usually the volume. But a light day is fine too. It's up to you. The only reason I stay from light days is people tend to go overboard with the volume on light days and end up defeating the purpose of having the light day in the first place.

thanx tot.
I currently finished my ramp up cycle of 5 weeks and will shoot next weeks for PRs.
My days are 3x5 with 3-4min rest and 3x12 with 90sec rest-only the last set will be tough here.

I will let know how it goes.

In my experience, the load isn't typically the primary thing fatiguing you, it is usually the volume. But a light day is fine too. It's up to you. The only reason I stay from light days is people tend to go overboard with the volume on light days and end up defeating the purpose of having the light day in the first place.

Double up on this. I would probably refine it to say 'volume in a single session', just so no one gets mixed up w/weekly volume and thinks their frequency is too high.

in HST the idea is to limit fatigue so training can be more frequent,fatigue managment is built in if you set your cycle up corectly,the first couple of sessions of each 2wk mini cycle should be easy-ish which should relive fatigue.

in HST the idea is to limit fatigue so training can be more frequent,fatigue managment is built in if you set your cycle up corectly,the first couple of sessions of each 2wk mini cycle should be easy-ish which should relive fatigue.

I would add the caveat that if you took a 12+ day SD, then the first few sessions are going to induce a fair amount of DOMS, but it doesn't last and isn't 'fatigue', just beware that the hit will come :p

True.
But i thought that after a certain strength level fatigue will accumulate quite fast.
I think of Practical Progamming for Strength training here when you need to switch from 3x5 to 5x5 but only once the week to keep fatigue in check.
I know thats for "strength" but recovery and adaption is important in equal goals.

Back