FF's '09 log

• Thread starter imported_fearfactory
  • Start date
<div>
(Lol @ Jul. 22 2009,3:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...put your feet on a bench or a chair...</div>
this was good advice.

...and 10 reps was FAR from 'too easy'.

Week 6 Day 3 workout duration 26' (does not include assistance or clean-up, my wife interrupted with an errand request)

Front Squats 3x1x190, 215, 240   0, 2', 5'

YTWLs 6'

Bench 3x3x180   13'30&quot;, 15', 16'

Cleans 3x3x190    24', 26', 27'30&quot;

assistance (after a trip out for fat free sour cream):
barbell curls 8x3x57
Tricep Ext 8x3x5
supine rows 5x2xbw (5 reps underhand, 5 over.  no chair)

edit - fixed # of reps in front squat sets. need to start proofreading!

I bought some creatine last night while I was at Wal-Mart.   so... I'm taking creatine now.

edit: oops, it's actually glutamine
blush.gif

Week 7 Day 1   workout duration 47'

Front Squats
3x3x230  0, 2', 4'

Bench
3x1x165, 180, 200    11'30&quot;, 13', 15'

Cleans
3x1x175, 195, 205 24', 26', 27'30&quot;

accessories:
GM's 10x2x67
incline situps 10x4x12.5
supine rows 6x2 (one set overhand, one set underhand - underhand appreciably more difficult)

notes:
- I just do not feel right about dropping the weight outright on cleans.  My aim is to control the descent to a hang clean position &amp; then controlled drop.
- situps were by far the most difficult thing in this workout

edit* fixed clean poundages

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jul. 24 2009,11:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">edit:  oops, it's actually glutamine  
blush.gif
</div>
Hey FF -

I'm not sure how you're using your glutamine - but consider using it when you go to bed on training days, in addition to post-workout, etc. Glutamine is used in the natural process of HGH release (I believe it actually stimulates it), which in turn is released when you're sleeping after stress is applied to the musculature. It also counters catabolism in the same way it stimulates HGH release. Good stuff!

You're lifting is going really, really well - keep it up!

<div>
(_tim @ Jul. 27 2009,10:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Thanks tim! This is the 1st time I've woken up early to lift. It was interesting...

Among other stupid things, I held the open container of glutamine powder under the tap water... having intended to put water in a glass.

I'll have to get another tub of glutamine!

Week 7 Day 2 workout duration 35'

Deads 3x3x370

OHP 4x3x147

assistance:
supine rows 7x2xbw
Incline situps 10x3xbw
assisted chins 5x3xbw

notes:
- I think I slightly pulled or aggravated my left trap or minor rhomboid during rows.
- my abs are incredibly sore
- hook grip held through working sets, although it took effort
- this is the first Tuesday since last August that I have only been scheduled for an 8 hour workday. so much better than 14!
- lifting + good breakfast = grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat

Week 7 Day 3 workout duration 32'

Front Squats 3x1x195, 225, 245 0, 2'30&quot;, 5'30&quot;

YTWLs 9'45&quot;

Bench 3x3x185 15', 16', 17'

Cleans 3x3x200 22'45&quot;, 25'30&quot;, 28'15&quot;

accessories: skipped them and went straight to sportscenter, coffee, and breakfast

notes:
- I'm amazed I got up and worked out in the AM for two straight workouts!

- form being my limiting factor, I was disappointed in a couple points today.
1. lack of 'elbow drive' on my top set of squats.
2. cleans, I initiated my 2nd pull too early, as I am attempting to change the way I'm breaking the bar off the floor.
3. I've been trying to grip the bar (imagine snapping the bar in half) which is making the bench weight feel very light, but this gripping has a tendency to flare my elbows...

Week 8 Day 1

Bench 3x1x170, 190, 210

Front Squats 3x3x 240

Cleans 3x1x180, 200, 220

assistance
GM's 10x2x72
incline situps 10x4x12.5
supine rows 6x2xbw overhand, 6x2xbw underhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORYgx6jF8Fs

notes:
- took a video of cleans, need to concentrate (among other things) on catching the bar in a full squat position.

- the 3rd set of squats was much easier than the 1st and 2nd

- I am not going to time my Sunday workouts anymore, I will continue to time weekday workouts.

- took my time with warm-ups today, did some dynamic stretching, YTWLs, BB Pullovers, DB Flies, light squats and pushups

Week 8 Day 3

Deadlift 3x3x380
OHP 3x3x157

assistance:
hanging knee raise 6x1xbw
Incline Situps 10x2xbw
Chin 1x1xbw
Supine Rows 6x2xbw (1 set overhand, 1 under)

notes:
- deadlifts weren't bad at all, I think I'll make my short term goal of 400x3 soon.
- my pulling strength is pathetic, to be sure.  however, my lone chinup did not hurt my elbows in the slightest and felt easy.  I'm not necessarily going to log it, but I intend to 'mini grease the groove' by doing singles periodically.

edit: Week 8 Day 2

Week 8 Day 3

Bench 3x3x205 0, 2'15&quot;, 4'15&quot;

Front Squats 3x1x200, 230, 250 9'30&quot;, 12', 13'45&quot;

Cleans 3x3x215 20'15&quot;, 23', 27'

assistance:
bb curls 10x2x57
cg bench 8x3x135

warmups:
YTWLs 6x2x5
BB pullovers 8x2x17
db flies 10x2x5
10 pushups
2 pullups

notes
- Tuesday, I noticed during presses that my triceps were having trouble finishing OHP. hopefully, close grip bench will help this.
- 3x1x250 w/ front squats was difficult. the 1st rep was easy, but the 2nd two were grinders. Fatigue was more of an issue (if there is a norm for a newb just finishing 8 weeks) during cleans.
- I found myself thinking about the redundancy between deadlifts/cleans and front squats/cleans. I did delay my workout from Tues until Fri... didn't feel dread though and other than a mild 'neck sprain', I feel good. It is likely that I'll take maxes after week 9 and start over.

Week 9 Day 1

Bench 3x1x185, 205, 225

Front Squats 3x2x250, 2x1x250, 1x1x250

I forgot to move the pins after bench. If I'm at very rock bottom, the bar can barely touch the pin. Well...I hit the pin on the 1st rep of my 3rd set. It was rather awkward and my right knee twinged a bit. I completed the set and stewed for about 6 minutes before completing a single.

My knee hurt, I was upset and quit the workout.

After stretching/foam rolling, my hamstring relaxed and I have no pain in the knee. My roller is about worn out and my piece of PVC broke..this need rectified. The wife sadistically dug her heel into my right hamstring until she got tired/bored, it hurt good.

Hopefully, I can squat and clean both on Thursday. If not, I will put a priority on cleans since I skipped today.

man...I didn't realize it'd been this long since I've posted!

third graders are running me ragged since school started. plus, I've been wrestling moderately hard 3x a week the last couple weeks. so...still no desire to step on a scale, but I feel leaner.

worked up to:
Cleans 1x1x275 +5# PR

I'll max deads on Saturday and start a new 5x5 next week. Not going to bother maxing on bench, I'm happy lifting 'light' with bench due to my being a weakling and scared of 'tendinitis'. in my elbow.

That is a very cool PR. I am very jealous. I can see you making a 300 clean, especially if you keep working hard on those front squats. Super stuff.

thanks very much fellas! I appreciate your kind words. 300 would be a nice clean for me. hopefully, I can attain it by working steadily.

worked up to:

Deads 1x1x445

was a bit slow, but certainly not hitched so I neatly pulled 1x1x460  - that ties a rather longstanding PR

disclaimer:  my homemade bumpers have a circumference of 20&quot;.  So... I figure it's like I'm pulling from 1.25&quot; blocks.  Not that I care, just thought I'd disclose.

edit: I meant to type diameter

<div>
(fearfactory @ Aug. 29 2009,7:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">worked up to:

Deads 1x1x445

was a bit slow, but certainly not hitched so I neatly pulled 1x1x460  - that ties a rather longstanding PR</div>
I suspect anything over 400 is gonna be a little slow...

Nice lift.

I got worked like a rented mule on Sunday.  Felt much better today.

Week 1 Day 2 (missed the first day!  
sad.gif
)  took me ~ 50 mins

Front Squats 5x5x170

Deads 5x5x300

OHP 5x5x107

accessories:
5x2xbw chins
3 single pullups
10x3xbw incline situps

Felt good to really sit back and stretch out with the squats.  Deadlifts felt good.  Overall, the workout was tougher for me than it 'should have been'...

Back