Finally started HST cycle (Advice needed)I'm on th

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_gazz
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_gazz

I've been "hanging around" this forum for quite some time, tmpted to try HST, but never quite going ahead: However I've finally bitten the bullet & am two weeks into a cycle.

I think I,m on the right tracks, but would appreciate observations and comments on some of the principles I've incorporated.

First off, I,m 47, trained a long time, mainly HIT style, in not bad nick for age but middle age spread is coming on fast, & injuries over the years give some bouts of joint pain if I overdo things. My main goal then is to lose bodyfat, whist hopefully retaining maximum muscle.

HST Cycle/principle incorporated:

1. I'm training 6 days per week on an upper/lower split (actually I'm training twelve days straight through & then taking two days off completely: figure that as I hit near max weights at the end of each microcycle I'll need a little more recuperation.

2. I'm rotating two routines per bodypart.

3. Increasing weights within each microcycle cycle (2 weeks) from about 70% max within the given rep scheme to 100%. I do one exercise per bodypart (2 sets per exercise), alternating eg
Incline Bench set 1
Underhand Pulldown set 1
Incline Bench set 2
Underhand Pulldown set 2

4. I've altered the reps slightly as due to the above mentioned joint problems I don't really want to push my luck doing negs.

1st 2 weeks: Set 1 25 reps Set 2 (slight increase in weight) 15 reps
2nd 2 weeks: Set 1 15 reps Set 2 (slight increase in weight) 10 reps
3rd 2 weeks: Set 1 10 reps Set 2 (slight increase in weight) 5 reps
4th 2 weeks: Set 1 5 reps Set 2 5 reps

5. I'm timing rest intervals, using less rest between sets early in each micrcycle, gradually increasing as the weights get heavier.

6. I'm on a low GI type diet with no supplements and slight calory deficit 1st 2 micrcycles. When I move into the 10/5 and 5/5 rep schemes I plan to supplement with creatine & increase cals slightly.

Are there any glaring errors with this approach: feedback would be much appreciated. I've just started the second microcycle today & so far am enjoying the experience.

Are there any glaring errors with my approach: feedback/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gazz

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
First off, I,m 47, trained a long time, mainly HIT style, in not bad nick for age but middle age spread is coming on fast, & injuries over the years give some bouts of joint pain if I overdo things. My main goal then is to lose bodyfat, whist hopefully retaining maximum muscle.
Trained a long time - does that mean you been constantly in training, been training off and on, trained alot but for the most part you haven't trained regularly lately, or you just started back after an extended layoff?

How would you describe your physical condition right now. Are you having diabetic, heart or circulatory issues, respiratory issues,etc?

Are you currently takiing meds for joint problems/pain?

--------------------

Without knowing more than you described. I would suggest:

The workout you describe is a toughy unless you've been steady on this kind of loading for some time. No wonder your joints are an issue. LOL

There is a huge difference between HIT and HST, the HIT is constantly pushing your muscles to failure and HST is pushing only to a fully attained rep without failure. HST is the better training for preventing injuries.

You may have trouble breaking old habits, because your body will constantly gravitate back to a familiar training memory. I can't explain it better than that. There is such a fine line between lifting to failure and pushing just to the edge. It does help, if you're not training with a partner. LOL

You might think about a six day/2day split with Sunday off.
MWF Upper Body/TTHSat Lower body. That is what I'm doing with a max workout time of 1 hour, hopefully I'm not catabolic. I then do 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise at lower elevation/lower speed while WALKING on treadmill. I keep my heart rate low under 75% of max (MHR) a very good fat burn range. I don't constantly monitor heart rate. A good easy measure is whether I can carry on an ordinary conversation with someone without breathing issues.

The tradeoffs can be difficult to balance in some cases. When you're building mass putting on some fat is jsut gonna happen. Having a good recovery between exercises and sets will require enough Glycogen, which is gonna force you to carb heavier.

Like most BB I've concentrated more on the exercises and diet, but I think I need a much more thorough education on supplementation. I'm not talking about the standard bodybuilder stuff like - protein shakes and creatine. I've just started reading about supplements that are beneficial in preserving lean muscle mass.

I knew Glutamine was a popular supplement, but I didn't know if you take about 3 scoops a day at meals it could actually help your body retain muscle mass. Maybe the whole world knows it, but I missed that train when it came through the station. LOL
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1st 2 weeks: Set 1 25 reps Set 2 (slight increase in weight) 15 reps

It looks like you're doing a warmup set before each exercise with lower weight. That's should be OK, if you can hit your target weight in the 2nd set. I only do warmups on the heavier exercises and would normally just do two sets at my weight increment goal.

If I cannot make the number of reps required in the 2nd set I could care less as long as I hit it the first set and didn't lower the load in the second set.

I do not lift to failure, if I'm not strong enough to make a full rep I know it. I have now experienced months of workouts with NO injuries. I may not be getting as much out of my training to suit many BB, but on balance without injuries I think I'm ahead.

Keep posting and asking questions. You'll get a lot of help here... the kind that will make the program work for you.

Good luck

Gazz, welcome to HST :D

Domineaux has pretty much nailed it in the head
laugh.gif

Your workout is a toughy, doubling up by the fact that you take through the 12 days and then break, on top of it oin a claoric deficit, any reason why you'd want to do this (deficit)?

I would say, first of all try out the vanilla method, at 3x week, 15/10/5, if you feel the negatives are going to hurt you then just double up the 5's.
butbut.gif

Keep sets at:

15 - 1 set / 10 - 2 sets / 5 - 3 sets, thus keeps volume more or less constant 15-20-15.

If you absolutely insist on 6 days, keep sets as above, simply warm up before each but no need to count them out and when in the heavies, do not do excessive warmup, the FAQ e-book has a section that covers warm-ups.

Good luck...and keep writing
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (domineaux @ Dec. 11 2005,10:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Trained a long time - does that mean you been constantly in training, been training off and on, trained alot but for the most part you haven't trained regularly lately, or you just started back after an extended layoff?
How would you describe your physical condition right now. Are you having diabetic, heart or circulatory issues, respiratory issues,etc?
Are you currently takiing meds for joint problems/pain?
--------------------
Without knowing more than you described. I would suggest:
The workout you describe is a toughy unless you've been steady on this kind of loading for some time. No wonder your joints are an issue. LOL
There is a huge difference between HIT and HST, the HIT is constantly pushing your muscles to failure and HST is pushing only to a fully attained rep without failure. HST is the better training for preventing injuries.
You may have trouble breaking old habits, because your body will constantly gravitate back to a familiar training memory. I can't explain it better than that. There is such a fine line between lifting to failure and pushing just to the edge. It does help, if you're not training with a partner. LOL
You might think about a six day/2day split with Sunday off.
MWF Upper Body/TTHSat Lower body. That is what I'm doing with a max workout time of 1 hour, hopefully I'm not catabolic. I then do 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise at lower elevation/lower speed while WALKING on treadmill. I keep my heart rate low under 75% of max (MHR) a very good fat burn range. I don't constantly monitor heart rate. A good easy measure is whether I can carry on an ordinary conversation with someone without breathing issues.
The tradeoffs can be difficult to balance in some cases. When you're building mass putting on some fat is jsut gonna happen. Having a good recovery between exercises and sets will require enough Glycogen, which is gonna force you to carb heavier.
Like most BB I've concentrated more on the exercises and diet, but I think I need a much more thorough education on supplementation. I'm not talking about the standard bodybuilder stuff like - protein shakes and creatine. I've just started reading about supplements that are beneficial in preserving lean muscle mass.
I knew Glutamine was a popular supplement, but I didn't know if you take about 3 scoops a day at meals it could actually help your body retain muscle mass. Maybe the whole world knows it, but I missed that train when it came through the station. LOL
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1st 2 weeks: Set 1 25 reps Set 2 (slight increase in weight) 15 reps
It looks like you're doing a warmup set before each exercise with lower weight. That's should be OK, if you can hit your target weight in the 2nd set. I only do warmups on the heavier exercises and would normally just do two sets at my weight increment goal.
If I cannot make the number of reps required in the 2nd set I could care less as long as I hit it the first set and didn't lower the load in the second set.
I do not lift to failure, if I'm not strong enough to make a full rep I know it. I have now experienced months of workouts with NO injuries. I may not be getting as much out of my training to suit many BB, but on balance without injuries I think I'm ahead.
Keep posting and asking questions. You'll get a lot of help here... the kind that will make the program work for you.
Good luck
Domineax

First off thanks for taking the time to respond.

[Trained a long time - does that mean you been constantly in training, been training off and on, trained alot but for the most part you haven't trained regularly lately, or you just started back after an extended layoff?]

No I have genuinely trained for a "long time" consistently; used to powerlift a bit & then as I said tended towards HIT. Haven't had any extended layoffs.

[How would you describe your physical condition right now. Are you having diabetic, heart or circulatory issues, respiratory issues,etc?Are you currently takiing meds for joint problems/pain?]

Generally pretty good nick for my age, but as I've said now tending to put weight on rather easily in all the wrong places. No medication for anything.Weighing in at around 90 Kg , 5'8" tall, good legs, solid 17" arms but would dearly love to discover some abs.

The joint pains are a bit misleading. The two main probs I have are with my right shoulder (dislocated & broke in a motor cycle accident, then re did the job playing football (soccer: proper football not American stuff), and my knee which is long term wear & tear due mainly to twisting when playing football. Between them they're a nuisance as they flare up at the worst possible times.

[You might think about a six day/2day split with Sunday off.
MWF Upper Body/TTHSat Lower body. ]

Thats basically what I'm doing, upper day 1, lower day 2, upper (different exercises) day 3, Lower (different exercises)day 4 & repeat. Workouts are around 45-60 minutes. This fits in fine with my time, I train alone at a commercial gym. I wasn't sure whether it would be more effective to train lower am, upper pm, next day off etc ie 3 days per week, twice a day.

[It looks like you're doing a warmup set before each exercise with lower weight. That's should be OK, if you can hit your target weight in the 2nd set. I only do warmups on the heavier exercises and would normally just do two sets at my weight increment go]

No the first set isn't really a warm up. By the end of the first fortnight I basically did one set of 25 very hard reps for an exercise, then a second set of 15 with a higher weight. Find that this is easier on the joints. Second fortnight the 15's will become my primary objective and 10's secondary and so on.

Again thanks for the response, much appreciated

Gazz

Back