Finding 15 and 10RM for Next Cycle?

• Thread starter Thread starter Key Of David
  • Start date Start date
K

Key Of David

I finished my last cycle without finding my 15 and 10RM for the next cycle, though obviously I have my 5RM.

So what would be your suggestions on my next RMs for 10 and 15? Say my bench press went up 40 lbs for 5RM. Do I simply up the 15 and 10s up 40 lbs as well? Is there a percentage I can go by?

You COULD work out your 10 and 15 RMs, or just start from about 50% of your 5RM for your first workout, and progress up every 2nd workout or so, so that you steadily progress to your 5RM over 6 weeks (18 workouts).

This is what the "minor HST principles ebook" recommends, starting from 50% of your 5RM.

Thanks for your post Peak.  I found my answer in the FAQ section.  Guess I didn't look hard enough huh?  
tounge.gif

My apologies for posting before I found it.  

Here's a link in case someone had the same question.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=4641

What I did was just take my 5RM and take away 35% of that number to get my estimated 15RM, and 15% for my 10s.  It worked like a charm, though I had to round off some numbers (rounded to lighter, not heavier) and I'm sure its not the most accurate poundages.  

But I'm sure it will be adequate nonetheless, given the fact that the 5s is where I will gain most of my muscle anyway.

Its funny that Bryan suggests finding your 15RM and then adding to that, I think its far more important to find your 5RM, and then guestimate the lower ones, as your 5RM represents the limit of your functional strength for the rep ranges you will be using, you want to build up to that, I'd rather that be accurate personally.

Great find though, and probably accurate enough for our purposes.

Yea if it works out this is what I'm going to do from now on.  Before I used creatine supplementation it was all I could do to up the lbs 5-10 lbs to the next cycle, so I've never had to face upping the lbs 40 lbs, etc, and estimating what it would be for the 15s and 10s.  
laugh.gif

Back