Finishing off HST with more 5's

vagrant

I'm in the 5's on my current HST cycle. I'm doing 3x5 this time instead of 5x5 like last time. I'm going to finish off with 5x3 just to push the numbers up and go for strength gains the last bit instead of doing the negatives. I get negatives with every rep of every set of every workout anyway so won't ever specifically be doing 2 weeks of pure negatives with weights that are too big for me to handle safely at home with no spotter.

My first time I did 5x5 for my 5's. I grew much more my first time around, gained no fat (I've picked up some this time around) so it seems for my body, higher volume HST is the way to go.

I had decided to do something like 2x12, 2x10+5, 3x8, then 5x5 for my next cycle, but since I did so much better the first time around with 2x15, 3x10, 5x5, 5x5... I'm going back to that after I finish my current training cycle and SD from it.

Now for the question for those who have done the long 5 cycles. Hitting the 5RM and keep repeating it for the next 2 weeks, gradually adding weight each time I'm able is very similar to working at maximum overload - the thing I switched to HST to get away from the injuries this causes to my body.

Sooooo

Which way to do a month of 5's would be best.

Simply increment as normal for 2 weeks, reduce the weight and repeat for another "normal" 2 weeks?

Here's the old standby squat for an example:
Week 1-2: 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200 (5x5)
Week 3-4: 160, 170, 180, 190, 200, 210 (5x5)

Or something more similar to Starr's old 5x5:
Week 1-4:
160, 170, 180, 170, 180, 190, 180, 190, 200, 190, 200, 210 (515) The end result is the same, reaching a new PR twice during the month. In this case 200 olympic squat then 210 olympic squat.

250 was my best ever 1RM parallel, 225 was my working weight for 5 reps before I got hurt. Now that I'm doing full olympic squats, the weight is quite a bit less than before.

Using your numbers, I've been trying something like this:

Week 1-2: 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200
Week 3-4: 185, 195, 205, 190, 200, 210

then try for 5 lb increase over 2 weeks

Week 5-6: 190, 200, 210, 195, 205, 215

etc. until I just can't push it up anymore or my joints get fed up (which they did).

Vagrant

From the 5's onward is a "tough tackie" as we would put it here is S.A. - btw tackie is coloquial for sneaker.
laugh.gif

You could do as LOL put it and re-do the same cycle with a 5 pound increase on each workout day then a 5 pound again.

I still prefer to saty at that same poundage and increase whatever I can after one week till my joints say...enough!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">250 was my best ever 1RM parallel, 225 was my working weight for 5 reps before I got hurt. Now that I'm doing full olympic squats, the weight is quite a bit less than before.</div>

I can side with you here, I was doing 311 lbs. for box-squats in my last cycle till Liege and Lol convinced me to try ATG. When I did, i had to start at 156 lbs., what a wake up call, but I preservered and ended the cycle doing 222 lbs. still a hell of a lot less but the feeling was second to none, my legs were paining for 2 days straight.
wink.gif

when you get to your maxes in 5s it would probably be ok to go 4wks and still get benefit,we dont actually know how long RBE lasts but when your in your low-weight maxes i think it lasts longer...and if you can add a bit of weight every wk then thats better still good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I have a spreadsheet I designed for extending HST into something very similar to a 5x5 cycle. Maybe you'll find it somewhat useful. It assumes some degree of strength gain... also, it starts you out at 80% of your max for each rep range, but I'm going to alter it eventually so you can change the percentage to whatever you want.
I don't know if you'll find this useful or not, but it's something I made for a few people who wanted it. Still a work in progress...

Oh and I'm still trying to figure out a way to effectively work dips and chins into it without making it look all dumb, so any suggestions would be great. Maybe putting in the total weight based on bodyweight + added weight instead of just entering in the added weight?

Okay, that didn't work. I'll host it on one of my sites and post a link here, or something.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 19 2006,17:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Okay, that didn't work. I'll host it on one of my sites and post a link here, or something.</div>
Tot,
Anytime I have had to put up a file, it had to be zipped. It seems not to allow other extensions
sad.gif

O

Back