First cycle question.........newbie!

Julesx

A quick newbie question............................................So much information on this site!

Because I am not hugely strong (!) when I start my first cycle I see that when I plug my rep max into the calculator it shows my first couple of workouts with ridiculously light weights!

ie: with 5lbs increments I start the cycle with a weight on bench press that I could probably arm curl with my 'traditional' style of training!

How do I deal with this in the 'spirit of HST' training

I have read and searched this huge forum but cannot obviously find the answer.

Many thanks

Jules

Jules, this has come up many times but it's not immediately apparent what to search for.

My advice would be to start each mesocycle (ie. 15s, 10s and 5s) with a load that is about 75% of your max for that rep range and then increase the loads in 5% increments each workout. That'll give you five increments from your starting load up to your rep max.

If the loads calculated this way are difficult to load on the bar, don't worry about it. Just use a load that is close. If that means you need to use the same load for a few sessions, that's okay too. It's the load progression over the course of the whole cycle that matters more.

All the best.

Excellent! Thanks...............................that should be easy (even for me!) to work out!

Cheers

Jules

Back