First cycle - Week 6 - Single Sets of 5s? Advice please

Dolphinski

I'm on my first HST cycle and absolutely loving it so far. First time round I'm following the FAQ recommended sets of

Wk1&2 2x15
Wk 3 2x10
Wk4 1x10
Wk5 2x5
Wk6 1x5

I'm sure i read somewhere on here about some guys doing 'finishing sets' of high reps (x15s) after doing low sets of 5s.

Can anyone confirm this, or should i just stick to a single set of 5 this week. I know it's working but it's still hard mentally convincing myself that i only need to do 1 set of 5 for each exercise!

Thanks guys.

As an idea for you, I do 3 sets of 5s, usually, and if I feel that I need extra TUL, I will finish my 3rd/last set with partials or pulses. These are very small movements - about a 1/4 of the ROM of the rep. In the near contracted position. ie; with bench presses, after the 5th rep, I press up again, about 3/4 of the way and just do 10-15 pulses - pressing up about 3 or 4 inches.
Try and find the (old) 'Pimp my HST' thread on here and read what Vicious wrote about it. Very useful for ideas.

Either that, or after the last rep, quickly drop the weight to at least 50% and push out another 10-15 reasonably fast reps, to increase your TUL.

Hope this helps

Brix

I know it's working but it's still hard mentally convincing myself that i only need to do 1 set of 5 for each exercise!
Thanks guys.
By the way. Unless you are having trouble recovering in wk4 and 6, I don't se why you would cut back on sets. Does the FAQ realy say that?

Cheers guys, that was exactly what i needed, can't believe i missed the dropsets part of the FAQ book. Hit the 5s hard tonight followed by a dropset of 10 or 5+5 and felt like King Kong afterwards.

Back