first HST cycle - weights and diet strategy

dan_how

hey everyone!!!

Firstly a big thank you to everyones who has answered all my questions to date, as simple as some were. nevertheless, im about ready to hit my first cycle from next week (Monday 15th Jan 07).

Attached is my inital plan, diet included. the diet will stick to the same calories thropughout the week, but i am going to produce another diet that will help me alternate my diet every other day and then let me eat more "freely" on a sunday. does anyone do this? some people have cheat days in terms of food? what is everyones thoughts?

Ok so all take a look. let me know of any advice. i know i got an AM;PM split but my main session is in the AM and may drop the PM if its not working for me. No pressing overhead at moment as recovering from a shoulder labrum tear and rotator cuff injury so even though rehab has gone well, im reluctant to put my arm into internal rotation with a dumbell on the end of a lever 2feet above my head!!

my week willconsist of the following;
Monday; HST AM;PM split - strict diet
Tuesday; HIIT - stricit diet + shoulder stabilisation/scapula stabilisation.shoudler prehab
Wednesday; HST AM;PM split - strict diet
Thursday; low intensity aerobic session - strict diet + shoulder stabilisation/scapula stabilisation.shoudler prehab
Friday; HST AM;PM split - strict diet
Saturday - possibly HIIT?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

Sunday; rest day - relaxed diet

ok pretty excited now. doing my body composition and measurements this weekend and will get some pictures too. only supplements will be whey protein, multivits, ZMA and omega oils.

Let me know what you think so i can get cracking come monday!

i assume you are trying to gain. you have a LOT of cals going in (roughly bwx20) and some of that will be eaten up by your w/o and the HIIT but bwx20 is still quite a bit. have you tried gaining at a lower cal level before? at 6' 170 your avg/lean but not in the serious ecto category like many who need bwx20 to grow are in.

you have a lot of detail in all of your charts. if your a detail oriented person all the time then that will work for you. however, if your just trying to craft the perfect diet/workout prior to begining just be wary and keep your priorities straight. the most important thing is to w/o (hst style of course) and eat enough. trying to chart each meal and its intake as well as w/o's and all the other details youve mentioned (as well as work and have a life) has been the downfall of many, some on the other hand love it. just know which one you are and make sure you dont lose sight of the forest for all the trees.

as far as w/o. close grip chins and dips will take care of bis/tris and some pec/lats better then the iso's youve listed. be wary of the bench press as well if your still having trouble with your labrum tear.

good idea getting your measurements/composition/pics taken in the begining. so many pass on that part b/c they are so unhappy with where they are but if youre prepared and motivated to make a change then you have nothing to fear.

good luck, and i mean that.

cheers blue. i was quite worried about my calorie intake to start with. can anyone suggest how i could determine what calries i should be eating. and im kind of a perfectionist at the moment. i will enjoy knowing exactly what is going in and out!!!

if you or anyone else can suggest a different calorie intake amount that would be great. then i can adjust my breakfast meals and shakes etc as needs be

cheers

Maintenence calories=370+(21.6 x lean mass in kg.)x1.55( this is an activity factor). 1.2 would be for a sedentary person and above 1.55 for extremely active people.
Weight gain=maintenence calories+20%
You'll need to know your body fat percentage before you start, so you can calculate lean mass.
Follow your lean mass and body fat increase progress on a weekly basis and adjust if gaining too much fat.
A good ratio to start with is 30% protein, 50% carbohydrates and 20% fat.
Eat lean protein, starchy and fibrous carbs and increase intake of omega 3's. Eat every 2-3 hours, a combination of proteins, carbs and fats. Minimize high sugar content and processed foods. Minimize protein supplements and eat grocery store food and you'll be amazed at the results in about 4-5 weeks.

dan

1st, ill say i can throw out some rough guidelines to follow to get you started but we all have diff levels and amounts that work for us so youll have to find yours to be most effective. fortunatly, you seem to be a detail guy so the better you track your intake the better/quicker youll tune in to what you need to do.

most seem to find bw x 13-15 to be a maint. cal level. obviously going up to 16-17-18....20 will add wgt to your frame but the quicker you add wgt the greater the % of fat that wgt will be. now i did say most. people who are naturally lean tend to need more cals to grow then those who arent naturally lean (and the reverse for the opposite). for some, the maint cal range goes up to 16 even 17. you can see why i thought bw X 20 might seem like a lot. i would recommend starting at bw x16-17 and see if you can gain @ 1lb week.  give it a few weeks but if your not gaining or gaining less then 1lb a week bump the cal up another digit (17 to 18) and continue on. no way of knowing what exactly will work for you but just a couple weeks/months of this type of tracking and you will be an expert on YOU.

a few other things.
most recommend 1 lb a week growth as optimal. it seems to be the most muscle without too much fat that one can put on in 7 days. anymore is mostly fat and less is probaly less fat but not max muscle.
shoot for around 1 gram of protien per lb of bw and try to get most of it from food sources.(not just shakes) if i remember your diet you were ok here.
try to drink @ a gallon of water a day, at least.
get plenty of rest (sleep).
macronutrient ratios can make a some difference but at this stage i would concentrate more on cal surplus and enough protein. you seem to want to eat relatively clean so excess bad fat and too much sugar etc doesnt sound like a problem for you. once you have a good handle on the big picture you can look into small detail stuff like that if you like.
remember everybody is different but you need only concern yourself with you. if you check out the diet and nutrtion threads you can see all types of strategies, diets, philosophies etc. the real important (and usually factual stuff) gets repeated time and again and it wont take long to separate the wheat from the chaff.

i hope this helps. it sounds like youve got a good bit of info, its just a matter of applying it and making changes as you go. i dont think it will take long before you will be doing quite well.

good luck

I agree with bluejacket except I would still stay away from too much sugar and fat and especially sugar-fat combination foods like ice cream or similar.
Check out my previous post again. I edited it since I made an omission regarding calculating maintenance calories.
Cheers

<div>
(ilalin @ Jan. 12 2007,11:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I agree with bluejacket except I would still stay away from too much sugar and fat and especially sugar-fat combination foods like ice cream or similar.</div>
if you check his diet its pretty clear hes planning on eating real clean with almost no sat. fats and a small/avg amount of sugar which is why i said i dont think he will have a problem with either one of those areas.

re-looking at your diet does make me think of a few other things.
50 grams fat is quite low for a 3500 cal bulk diet let alone whatever amount you choose if you decide to lower it. if you stick with the low fat diet (less then 50gram) make sure you definitely take the omega 3s.

if you do lower your intake i would recomm. taking it from the milk/shakes. this may alter you pro intake but if memory serves that was hi so you should be fine. you had some good food selected (tuna, chicken, salmon) but not a whole lot of food selected when compared to your milk/shake intake. im a big fan of milk as well as shakes (within reason) but cals you eat are always better then ones you drink, not always as convenient but still better. again, if your looking to trim some cals i would start there.

good luck again, and let us know how things progress.

thanks blue jacket. i have actually cut the milk from my protein shakes as it will slow the rate of gastric emptying and the influx of nutrients from the cut is of paramount importance now. my revised diet is down to about 2800 kcal now after taking out the milk from the drinks.

Back