First Programmed HST- take a look

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_get456
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_get456

I attached a picture of the spreadsheet that contains my first programmed HST workout

Lifts were calculated at ACTUAL maxes, 15, 10,5 So i would have the most accurate numbers to go off.

Please critique as you see fit. I did something a little different... for my 5th workout each cycle, i programmed that at 100% of my RM, and for my 6th I programmed that at +5% of RM so each 2 week period i should be adding weight.

I hope that makes sense and still fits with the principle.

thanks for the replies!

Too small to see. But if you've programmed it by your actual maxes then you did it right.

Putting your max at workout 5 may be good because you will get stronger doing this. However, you may end up hurt because I don't know how much stronger you will actually get. The thing is when you get to the 5's, your 5RM for one set will be your 5RM for two, three, or however many sets you are doing...this is a strength increase...a big one.

Try it but listen to your body, if you reach the point in your last workout where you don't think you can get another rep with good form...stop, don't injure yourself to stick with the plan on the paper. If you can get it safely...go for it and be glad you've found something that's going to work great for you.

ah right... because you had noted a progression in sets right?

2 for 15s, 3 for 10's, 4 for 5's.... was that it?

i was just going to do 2 sets throughout....

******* i found it... it was 2 sets, 3 sets, 5 sets

i think what i may do is cut that volume down a bit but keep the weight increase... say 2 sets, 3 sets, 3 sets

Doing 2 throughout is fine too.

But remember, your 5RM you tested is for one set. You still have to double your capacity to get it for two sets. HST will do that for ya.

Just remember, on that workout #6, if you feel you've reached failure and going for one more rep will put you over the line...stop the set so you don't hurt yourself.

I actually think what you've described will work well BTW. Just don't push too far, too fast and get an injury.

Those weeks or months out of the gym really suck.

My personal take is that it's OK to do what you are doing but it's unnecessary and likely to cause a build up in fatigue as you get to the really heavy part of the cycle. If you were doing Max Stim then you would be fine because you would be managing fatigue more carefully all the way up to your heaviest loads. However, this way you could stall out unless you can get maximum rest and eat a truck load of food.

Personally, I think you are better off trying to maintain your rep count as you go through your cycle except maybe for the 2nd week of 10s and 5s. (If you dropped 5 reps with your top weight but added in a bit more work with a slightly lighter set that would keep the work done moving up too.) Trying to do sets across with your RM loads will be very difficult even if you have gained strength. Clustering would be advisable to avoid failure.

Another reason for not bothering to push the loads up before the end of 5s is that you can then continue the 5s for longer, incrementing say once a week, until you reach your new RMs and then stick with that for a further couple of weeks or do negs (if possible). Training three times a week full-body does take its toll on your CNS even if you avoid failure with sub-max weights for much of the time.

As Vagrant said, pushing up the loads and trying for new RMs early in the cycle may cause you to lose your form and hurt yourself unnecessarily, but for me, the real clincher is keeping fatigue as low as possible during the cycle so that you can really push for new RMs towards the end of the cycle when the loads are highest and you are doing the most work.

Back