First time HST

WisCompton

I'm running my first HST cycle. I have read a bunch on the topic and no matter what I read I find so many differing opinions.

So I just have two questions:

First I have read about keeping it simple so the workout I put together looks like this.

Squat
Flat Bench Press
SLDL
Yates Row
Military Press
Wide Grip Pull up
Dips
Ez Bar Curl
Skull Crushers
Calf Raises

From what I have read this seems like a very balanced HST workout... Correct ?

My second question is rep ranges, I was planning on doing 15x1/10x2/5x3. Is this the most effective rep range for a beginner to HST and can it be changed in the future to something like 15x2/10x2/8x3/5x3?

Thanks for any input!

That is 30 sets in the 5's! Way too much volume unless you are very advanced, like 10+ years, and on a lot of "help."

How about just this:

Squat
Incline Bench Press
Dips
Military Press
Pull ups

You really do not need the other fluff and all that volume may impede your growth. And you may not need the dips! I do them as a high rep (15+) follow through exercise after the BP. (Not strict HST protocol but it works for me.)

O&G :cool:

What frequency are you thinking 3X per week?

And diet is just as important.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at 3xWeek. I have been lifting for about 3 years. I have always just put my own workouts together, but recently I have started doing more research and really think I could benefit from HST.

Right now I am 6'1 195. I'm averaging about 3200 calories/250g protein/300-500g carbs/75-95g fat. I would like to see what 210 looks like, but my job makes it really hard to put down a ton of calories.

I think I am pretty good at meeting my macro needs and follow a pretty clean diet.

I'm running my first HST cycle. I have read a bunch on the topic and no matter what I read I find so many differing opinions.

So I just have two questions:

First I have read about keeping it simple so the workout I put together looks like this.

Squat
Flat Bench Press
SLDL
Yates Row
Military Press
Wide Grip Pull up
Dips
Ez Bar Curl
Skull Crushers
Calf Raises

From what I have read this seems like a very balanced HST workout... Correct ?

My second question is rep ranges, I was planning on doing 15x1/10x2/5x3. Is this the most effective rep range for a beginner to HST and can it be changed in the future to something like 15x2/10x2/8x3/5x3?

Thanks for any input!

Like O&G, I don't think that's a particularly simple workout. :) It's not that it's complicated, just that it might be overly taxing once you get to the heavy end of the 5s. If you select a handful of exercises for a cycle you will be able to really do them justice; try, say, three or four major compound movements and an iso or two. Or, if you are the kind of person who gets bored easily and wants more variety, just create an A & B workout and alternate between them. Something that you might also want to think about is that you can always swap out exercises each cycle, ie. you could do bench one cycle and dips the next. In the long-term, it won't matter.

15s, 10s and 5s are an effective way to lay out a cycle, beginner or not. There are lots of ways you could adapt things to your own personal preferences but I'd suggest sticking with the 'standard template' and see how you get on for at least one cycle, and preferably more.

Take a week to find your RMs for each exercise of each rep range and then take a 9-day SD before starting your HST cycle.

All the best. :)

Back