flies vs bench + correct increments

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_foreverfun
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_foreverfun

Hi,

Just started HST, doing my 10's right now.
I have two questions.

1. Is it cool to alternate flies and bench press?
For example on Monday doing Bench, Weds Flies, Friday Bench, Monday Flies, Weds Bench, Friday Flies?

2. I alternate between Arnold Press and Lat Raises to work shoulders, what is the best way to figure increments for alternating exercises?

For example: Currently I do Arnold Press on the 1 and 3 days of the first week and the second day of the second week, so I've put my 10 rep max on the second day of the second day and done my increments for a series of three days. Then I fit my Lat Raises in in the same way.

Flies and Lat Raises = isolation

Arnie/Shoulder Press and Bench Press = compound

Compound > isolation every time. Heavier weight, less chance of injury (especially with flies which can be flat out dangerous without a spotter), and stimulate growth better. Also saves time cause you work your chest/shoulders and triceps.

Forever fun

Although Peak is right on the money as usual...
wink.gif
, it may be worth your while to use your flyes and lateral raises as metabolic stress inducers from the 5's onwards, to kinda provoke growth by using loaded stretch or pulse stretch techniques.

Now...in order to do this you'd superset these "little guys" immediately after the compound, and the weights of course would be minimal, just enough to feel right!

Of course I'd normally only recommend this if you are an advanced lifter, so if you're not please ignore!

For the techniques refer to Pimp my HST E-book.

Do dips and incline bench for a good compound combo (incline around 15º). Alternate each w/o.

Back