Forced SD

CTeen

Due to medical reasons, I was forced to stop going to the gym one workout into my 5s.  I've gotten some pretty
good gains, but they seem to be vanishing rapidly (which is probably more in my head than anything, as I can't
stand being sick and not being in control of my body).  I've been out of the gym for 4 days so far and it will be awhile still
before I can head back.  I'm hoping it won't be more than 2 weeks, so this will be considered a premature SD.
With that said, I want to make my second cycle as good and smart as it can be.  I learned a lot in the first cycle  (or what I completed, anyway) but know I still have so much further to go.  I've been reading through the FAQs and the "Customizing HST" thread and it has lead me to a few questions (which I hope you experts won't mind
answering).

I'm prepared to go to the gym twice a day (AM/PM split).  What I didn't understand was how one divides their
workout.  Do you do two full workouts a day?  Do you split it up, and if so, how?

Secondly, what kind of exercises should I be doing?  The "Customizing" thread speaks of 3 kinds of exercises:
compound, stretch and focused/specific.  When should I be doing which?  I understand the importance of compound
exercises and have the 'big 4' in my core program.

My previous routine was the following, please validate me:

2 X Squat
2 X Stiff-legged Deadlifts
2 X Standing calf-raises
2 X Dips
2 X Incline Chest Dumbbell
2 X Biceps (normally just regular curls)
2 X Tricep pushdowns
2 X Shoulder Press
2 X Pull-ups (but faking it using the machine)
2 X Weighted incline crunches

I previously did rows and lateral raises, but ditched them in favor of an extra set of shoulder presses and pull-ups.  Good choice?  I have tried and can manage squats and deadlifts on the same day without being too tired the
next workout.  Incidently, my legs made great progress.  And lastly (for now), I find my arms are lagging behind... any suggestions to get better arm exercises in there?  Near the end I started doing incline curls and tricep kickbacks AND my regular arm exercises, is this too much?

Thanks a lot for your time,

-CTeen

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CTeen @ May 31 2005,6:31)]I'm prepared to go to the gym twice a day (AM/PM split).  What I didn't understand was how one divides their
workout.  Do you do two full workouts a day?  Do you split it up, and if so, how?
If you haven't already a good place to start when thinking of splits is the Optimizing HST FAQ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Secondly, what kind of exercises should I be doing? The "Customizing" thread speaks of 3 kinds of exercises:
compound, stretch and focused/specific. When should I be doing which? I understand the importance of compound
exercises and have the 'big 4' in my core program.
Your compounds are important to try and keep doing thru the whole cycle. Isolations (focused/specific) are sometimes not added until the latter part of the 10's due to the inability to progress the load thru a full 6-8 week cycle without repeating weights several times. Stretch point exercises (such as incline curls) are usually added around the same time and are often the isolation type exercises.

Back