Chest - Bench
Shoulders - Military Press
Back - Rows

Workout 2:

Legs - Squats
Chest - Wgt Dips
Shoulders - Military Press
Back - Chins

I know that a few of these excercise are hitting my forearms, but i have really small forearms anyway and just wondered how to go about making them catch up whilst still implementing the principles of HST correctly.

I mean, do I just add some extra isolation excercises on my 10's and 5's?

Many thanks

I wouldn't worry about doing isos for forearms right now. Don't wear lifting straps for chins, rows or deads and your forearms will grow. One proviso: if your grip compromises what you can do for deads then do use straps for your heaviest loads but do some additional over-over grip static holds with a weight that allows you to hold on for about 15 seconds. Increment the load once you can hold it for 20 seconds. Do a few sets of these.

Farmers Walks have improved my grip strength enormously, I only use straps for rack pulls these days, and the forearm pump is better than doing a thousand wrist curls.

Thanks for your advice,

I will try leaving the lifting straps then.

And how often should i be doing these extra sets so i dont **** up my HST?

Chris

2 or 3 sessions a week should suffice. Try just adding in a bit of grip strength training at the end of each regular HST session.

Lol, I've never disagreed with you, you've always been "spot on" as you guys say. But wasn't the discussion in the "grip test" thread about growth in the forearms lending to ...a lack of growth in the forearms from grip training? The question was asked at post #71.
I'd think genetics are the biggest detriment, but surely rotation exersizes can help. Barring that, I suppose you could take two heavy hammers, and beat the snot out of something for an hour a day and develop carpenter's arms. But you'll probably hate the wrist and hand pains that often go with it.

edit: I just re-read your post and I see you recommended bare hand work for compounds also. My bad.
blush.gif

Yeah, what Quad says is true. So just to reiterate: forearm size is mainly due to the size of the wrist and elbow flexors. Grip related muscles won't add a significant amount of size to your forearms BUT all the other compound pulling movements will. So, if your grip is what is holding you back in those areas then work on that too. Deads are supreme because the loads are so high (relatively speaking) and your forearm muscles have to work really hard to hold your arms together!
biggrin.gif

Coc are Ok for "feats of strength" - but I prefer the Ivanko Super Gripper (ISG) as you can work at a load which suits you, and you can add extra springs if required.
cool.gif

Back