Frequency

keith

Hello, I am a returning member of HST, it's been a few years since I've posted. Please let me know what you think about the following situation.

My current work schedule only permits me to work out either:
2 days a week with more volume
-or-
3 days a week, with 2 days being back-to-back (i.e. R, Sa, Su)

-Which option is best? Is the second one OK?

Thanks!

I'd go with two days per week. Dan Moore had posted some studies a few years ago that showed twice a week workouts seemed to function as well as three times a week.

Besides, rest is good for you. Food is the fuel; training is the trigger, but it's during your periods of rest that you grow.

Hey, thanks for your input TunnelRat :). I too remember seeing old posts regarding 2x a week being almost as effective as 3. I will probably take this route then.

I was just wondering about the 2 consecutive days in a row, because I know some HST trainees will do AM/PM splits--where the same workout is repeated 2 times in the same day. Perhaps two consecutive days would not be as optimal in terms of recovery. I am still interested to know what the exact difference is.

-Keith

Working out 2 days in a row should be no problem at all if you are doing a split routine working different body parts. Doing back-to-back full body workouts may be ok depending on how fit you already are. If you’re already very fit then the volume need to grow may be too much to recover from in 24 hours. I think it just depends on how hard you are hitting it both days.

You could always start out doing 3 full body workouts and as things start getting heavy if you’re not recovering dropping down to 2 a week. That might give you the best of all worlds by getting more volume early on when you can handle it and tapering off to allow more recovery time later on.

I would rather do the 3 x week personally, if u have to do back to back sessions and you'll ample time to recover during the week.

Maybe something a FBR and then a upper/lower and the consecutive days

Two days back to back is not a problem. I would probably not do the same lifts on those two days though.

If you decide to just do two days a week, I would go with Thursday and Sunday, so it is distributed a little more evenly over the week.

Thanks for the help everyone. After thinking this over in detail, I think I will do the following with somewhat higher volume than traditional 3x per week FBR:

Thurs: FB
Sat: Upper
Sun: Lower

If I get really busy, then I'll go with Thurs, Sun FBR.

Keith

Back