Gained too much, too quckly...

mport1

I have only done my 1st week of HST so far along with my 1st week of bulking, and I shot up 5 pounds. I was planning to go for about 2 pounds a week. I don't want to purposely slow my growth for the rest of my cycle by not eating enough to slow down my fat gain, but I don't want to have a very high BF% by the end of the cycle.

Any suggestions on how to turn this problem around? Would something like a little cardio and less calories on my off days be a good solution?

lower and cut out some carbs

and add more protien.

that should curb it some

1/You cannot judge anything on a weeks work.

2/That kind of gain is not normal for anyone that isn't using a load of steroids. It will either be water, a problem with your measuring equipment etc not muscle mass!!!

Moral of the storey is wait another few weeks before you make changes, if you keep gaining weight then try uping the cardio.

<div>
(ian @ Mar. 27 2006,12:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1/You cannot judge anything on a weeks work.

2/That kind of gain is not normal for anyone that isn't using a load of steroids. It will either be water, a problem with your measuring equipment etc not muscle mass!!!

Moral of the storey is wait another few weeks before you make changes, if you keep gaining weight then try uping the cardio.</div>
1. True, a week is not a good judging period, but I should definitely not have gained 5 pounds in 1 week of 15s.

2. Yeah, I will defitely now be checking my weight more often to make sure it is not waterweight or something else, but my scale seems to be pretty accurate. Also, I checked my weight in the middle of last week and I was already up 2.5-3 pounds.

sounds right to me. The starting of my last 2 cycles my weight shot up about 5 pounds the first week. Going from eating around 3000 cals to over 4000 is what i attribute it to.

Did you start creatine too? That would also put on a good initial amount of weight. I wouldn't worry about it for another week at least.

<div>
(beaul @ Mar. 27 2006,13:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">sounds right to me.   The starting of my last 2 cycles my weight shot up about 5 pounds the first week.    Going from eating around 3000 cals to over 4000 is what i attribute it to.  

Did you start creatine too?  That would also put on a good initial amount of weight.   I wouldn't worry about it for another week at least.</div>
Well, I have been using creatine for awhile now and I used it on my cut that I did before this bulk. However, it is creatine ethyl ester, so it is not supposed to have the bloating effect of monohydrate.

<div>
(frivolousz21 @ Mar. 27 2006,12:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">lower and cut out some carbs

and add more protien.

that should curb it some</div>
Alright, well should I cut dextrose out of my post workout shakes. This would save me about 100 calories and 30 carbs?

Yeah water weight increases when you eat more carbs..same reason people drop lotsa weight the first week of dieting.
Its like whenever a gram of glycogen is put away in a muscle fibre or liver cell, three to four grams of water are tucked in with it or something along those lines. I wouldnt worry.

Here's a solution - don't worry about it. You are doing the 15s right now, right? Yeah, then it's normal. Just keep going like you are. One week isn't long enough to judge this sort of thing anyway. After three or four weeks, then you'll know if you are gaining fat or not.

mport

The guys are right, you cannot say you are gaining so much within one week.

Wait up and see what is happening after 3 to 4 weeks.

If by then you are putting on fat, start doing cardio on off days.

HIIT seems to be the best in tremns of effectiveness!

You didnt by chance eat or drink anything behind Barry Bonds did you?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Mar. 27 2006,17:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You didnt by chance eat or drink anything behind Barry Bonds did you?
biggrin.gif
</div>
Haha, no. But something has got to be off. Unless my bodyfat calipers or scale are off, I have gained over 3 pounds of muscle in a week. It's gotta be waterweight then.

Most likely is water weight.

I believe....but I am not sure that water weight from creatine or any other forum will just show up as lbm (lean body mass).

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 27 2006,15:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here's a solution - don't worry about it.  </div>
I like that solution
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Mar. 27 2006,20:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Most likely is water weight.

I believe....but I am not sure that water weight from creatine or any other forum will just show up as lbm (lean body mass).</div>
water shifts and glycogen concentrations are lean, so they would contribute to LBM.

Water shifting occurs every day, hundreds of times a day, when you add on resistance training which also impacts ionic balance you will noticably see differences in water.

again I really like Totentanz's answer.

just a question.... perhaps a silly question
did you take the measurements under the same conditions, specially the weighing ??..... between the first day in the morning and last thing at night there could be 1-3 kg (2-6 lbs) difference.

Also, after a cutting periods when you start bulking up the first week or 2 weeks you gain exactly that, like 2-3 kgs by hardly being above your maintenance level..... let your body settle and absorb all what was starving for..... then your weight should stabilize

<div>
(latinblast @ Mar. 30 2006,05:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">just a question.... perhaps a silly question
did you take the measurements under the same conditions, specially the weighing ??..... between the first day in the morning and last thing at night there could be 1-3 kg (2-6 lbs) difference.

Also, after a cutting periods when you start bulking up the first week or 2 weeks you gain exactly that, like 2-3 kgs by hardly being above your maintenance level..... let your body settle and absorb all what was starving for..... then your weight should stabilize</div>
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I always weigh myself under the same conditions (first thing in the morning, after I go to the bathroom) because I have seen my weight fluctuate by up to 5 pounds in a day just because of timing.

Back