genetics

faz

what do they cover.
we all know people who dont train, eat crap,drink,but walk around ripped
mad.gif

and i dont just mean a 6pack thats there when the fat goes.
i know guys who although are not huge are ripped all over.
if i tense my tris you can see the horseshoe,if i stop training for a few months you cant.
but these guys have it all the time.
so is it genetics (lyle macdonald reckons thats 50%)
does genetics cover
food partitioning (or is that fitness)
rock.gif

metabolism (or is that exercise,diet)
rock.gif

fat storage (where you store it) (is that food partitioning)
rock.gif

When I started working out I decided to convince myself that genetics had nothing to do with it. Logically, I knew it did, but I decided it wasn't worth dwelling on it - it would only make me paranoid or frustrated.

My gut feeling is that genetics counts for more than you expect, but less than you fear.

In psychology we were taught that (in relation to intelligence) genetics doesn't provide the upper limit, but the starting position. It's like a rubber band. You start off with what you're given, but how far you stretch it is up to you.

(I had a friend at university who didn't work out, wasn't sporty at all, drank a fair bit, and would eat bowls of pure whipped cream for dessert. The sports science students were doing their "how to measure body fat" lesson one day and offering passers-by body-fat readings. They double- and triple-checked his results because they didn't believe that he could actually have 5% body fat. Bastard.)

From what I have seen so far, most of the genetic linkage to obesity is more related to genetic defects affecting satiety and hunger than partitoning or metabolism. If you watch the guys who eat like sh*t one thing you'll see is how these are the guys/girls who are always moving, always doing something, so the energy used is always balanced to intake. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a person who does nothing all day long but watch the idiot box and overeat while being thin, unless they are ill.

so what you are saying dan is that all these guys who are ripped are constantly on the go,and burn the cals that way.
obviously i am not with them all day so i dont know what they do at home,but i know guys who dont even work or workout but have good muscle definition and tone.
as far as obesity you reckon from what you have read its basicly a form of greed that they cant help.
but is your food partitioning,metabolism,to do with genetics..ie..some people will gain 3lbs of fat with 1lb of muscle.
others will gain 3lbs of muscle with 1lb of fat.
can you change that with exercise (weights,cardio,which is better) or is it genetics
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

The partitioning ratio is genetic. Others will simply put on more lean tissue than fat when bulking. But the reverse is true when they try to cut - they lose muscle easier than fat. It's a double-edged sword.

Exercise is the best way to positively affect the partitioning ratio. I'm not sure if cardio is better or if cardio alone will suffice, but regular exercise with weights strikes me as better since it keeps protein synthesis elevated.

Back