gettin rid of fat cells

faz

A study by researchers at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, North Carolina suggests that exercise may prove helpful especially for those who are looking to reduce fat along their waistline. The researchers found that the subjects who exercised during the study showed a reduction in size of fat cells around the abdomen compared to those who only dieted.

Dr. Tongjian You and colleagues studied 45 obese middle-aged women to investigate the role of exercise in reducing abdominal fat cells. The women were divided into three groups: one that took less-calorie diet, one that took less calorie diet and walked at a moderate pace three days per week; and a third that dieted and walked at a more intense pace three days a week.

Exercise may be especially helpful in reducing the size of fat cells around the waistline -- more so than diet alone, a study suggests. That's important, because fat specifically in the abdomen has been linked to the risk of heart disease and diabetes.

After 20 weeks, all three groups showed improvements in their weight and body fat percentage. But when the researchers took samples of body fat from just below the skin's surface, they found that women in both exercise groups showed about an 18 percent reduction in the size of abdominal fat cells, whereas sole dieters showed no change.

In contrast, both groups trimmed about the same amount from fat cells in the hip area.

Tongjian You told Reuters Health, the findings suggest that exercise may "preferentially increase" the body's breakdown of fat cells in the abdomen.

However, You acknowledged that the there is the possibility that hormonal factors might cause fat cells in the abdomen and hip area to have different metabolic responses to diet and exercise.

The bottom line for people trying to shed pounds is that both exercise and diet are important, and exercise may be particularly key in the ultimate distribution of a person's body fat, You said.

Research is important from the perspective that fat in the abdomen has been linked to the risk of heart disease and diabetes.

The findings of the study are published in the International Journal of Obesity.

I've read this before. The thing is, exercise has always been the best medicine for losing fat. But it's difficult. So people avoid it like a disease. Instead, they try diet after diet, and ultimately fail!!!

I say this as a former fat person from a very fat family... I speak from experience.

I know hypertrophy is the goal around here, but for people in general, if they could just find one form of exercise they enjoy, and do it regularly, a lot of obesity and problems associated with it in our culture would surely diminish.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Exercise may be especially helpful in reducing the size of fat cells around the waistline</div>
Ya think? Heheh, another couch potatoe study for the ladies home journal mags...I'd like to see the same study done with weightlifters on a controlled diet and double-blind study...one group not doing abs and the other doing them. Because I despise ab work.

<div>
(etothepii @ Sep. 23 2006,08:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've read this before. The thing is, exercise has always been the best medicine for losing fat. But it's difficult. So people avoid it like a disease. Instead, they try diet after diet, and ultimately fail!!!

I say this as a former fat person from a very fat family... I speak from experience.

I know hypertrophy is the goal around here, but for people in general, if they could just find one form of exercise they enjoy, and do it regularly, a lot of obesity and problems associated with it in our culture would surely diminish.</div>
when I told one of my classmate that jogging could help reduce weight without following those bread only diet or vege only diet, I was shocked the reason of her doesn't want to jog is that it would thicken up the thighs,thus making the thighs not thin.

Technicality on the thread title: as the article points out, you do not &quot;get rid of&quot; fat cells, you merely diminish the size of the cells.

wink.gif

Yeah, the only way to get rid of them is to suck 'em out and that sucks! I like my fat cells, every doggone one of them.

I can't believe this type of study is still being done. There are so many more interesting things that research dollars could be thrown at.  
rock.gif

Edited cos I still can't spell!

Lol, if you like 'em so much I'll give ya mine! Lol! Lol!

K.o.D. - The treadmill idea is good...maybe I'd actually use it since I don't often hit my other seven machines.
sad.gif

I wish they'd move the skating rink closer to me...at least that's something I'm good at and enjoy! (hence the handle &quot;quadancer&quot;)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was shocked the reason of her doesn't want to jog is that it would thicken up the thighs,thus making the thighs not thin. </div>

A classic case of ignorance not being bliss!
laugh.gif
People are so naive its sore! Since when does running thicken up your thighs, specially jogging longish type distances
rock.gif

If we were talking sprinting, ah...ah, those guys and girls have impressive...muscular thighs...but joggers...pleeeeease!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, the only way to get rid of them is to suck 'em out and that sucks! I like my fat cells, every doggone one of them.
</div>

Now that was funny LOL, no wonder you dubbed yerself Lol
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div>
(4 8 15 16 23 42 @ Sep. 23 2006,11:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Technicality on the thread title: as the article points out, you do not &quot;get rid of&quot; fat cells, you merely diminish the size of the cells.

wink.gif
</div>
Wait! What do you mean &quot;you merely diminish the size of the fat cells&quot; ?

Does that mean that if I eat for size, I'll be adding fat cells which won't ever go away??
wow.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Does that mean that if I eat for size, I'll be adding fat cells which won't ever go away?? </div>

No, but there will be some fat with the muscle, inevitable! You then cut again and loose most fat but some muscle goes with it.

The winning thing is to loose less fat while maintaining muscle, and to add as much muscle without too much fat!
biggrin.gif

Shlep...you can't have the best of both worlds!
laugh.gif

You won't add more fat cells until you get quite obese. Normally, your current fat cells will simply swell up. It takes quite a while before your body has to start making new fat cells, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you are like most guys and only bulk up to 15-20% bodyfat, you have nothing to worry about. I think you could go a bit higher than that before it becomes a problem.

Back